Anyone having issues accessing the forums
12-12-2013, 03:27 PM,
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums
I have an update for everyone regarding the security measures, which have impacted a hefty handful of folks here.

Thankfully, with all of the people we've added to the IP whitelist, we are now able to see when they still trip the same rule that caused them to be denied. This now helps me to realize that the rule is being triggered from legitimate use, and therefore is a candidate for being lifted.

I found 3 such rules that have been sticklers to us so far. I've lifted all 3, and I'm really hoping that this thread turns into a ghost town... In other words, no one is experiencing any more blocked access.

I'm really sorry that we were directed by our web host to get a little more serious about our security. Apparently our site was hanging out in the wind, which invited a swarm of bots to come in and overtake the e-mail server.

With a LOT of help from our host, they taught me a ton about security on a VPS system, and I now believe we are reaching a balance between locking down the system from bad traffic, while keeping it open enough to not block anyone who wishes to be here.

Please continue to post here if you have any issues whatsoever with being blocked. While I identified 3 solid rules to lift, I would be surprised if those three are the only ones, as we have HUNDREDS of rules that apply to each and every request you make with your browser! Isn't that just mind-boggling to think about?? The sheer amount of scrutiny placed upon every link, button, or page you visit. Pretty amazing to watch what it takes to secure a system.

I hope everyone has a warm and beautiful Christmas season this year.
With love,
Steve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The following 5 users Like Bring4th_Steve's post:
Horuseus, Patrick, reeay, Spaced, xise

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums - Melissa - 11-20-2013, 01:46 PM
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums - Melissa - 11-20-2013, 05:59 PM
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums - Melissa - 11-22-2013, 01:21 AM
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums - Melissa - 11-23-2013, 11:57 AM
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums - Bring4th_Steve - 12-12-2013, 03:27 PM
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums - Melissa - 01-21-2014, 06:22 AM
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums - Melissa - 01-20-2014, 02:15 PM
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums - Unbound - 11-03-2014, 04:12 PM
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums - michael430 - 11-04-2014, 12:20 PM
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums - michael430 - 11-04-2014, 02:42 PM
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums - michael430 - 11-08-2014, 09:56 AM