03-31-2018, 11:36 PM,
Help Me, Obi-Wan Zubenelgenubi!
~
[Image: blue-moon-and-full-moon-march-2018.jpg]

http://earthsky.org/tonight

[Image: serveimage?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cartoon...3106f3.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1480-768x1024.jpg]

[Image: wigglyloaf-104.jpg]
(This is not to say, as some infidels aver, that the Infinite Creator is just another attention-whore Whom we are all co-dependently enabling!)

http://www.idialstars.com/zube.htm  I have just discovered the star with the bestest name in the universe. I am thinking of legally changing my name to Zubenelgenubi, and then back again, so that I can truthfully designate myself The Artist Formerly Known As Zubenelgenubi. 
Well, that might be too much trouble, come to think of it; instead, I think I might just start calling my pet axolotl Beauregarde by this name. He's at the veterinarian's undergoing trans-surgery to achieve salamandericality (he has always told me he feels like a salamander trapped in an axolotl's body).

[Image: banner-image1.gif]
https://thefirelizard.wordpress.com//?s=salamander&search=Go

Song of the Salamander
-- Bruce McClure, 2013

You immortal terrain, everlastingly present and eternally now, you who are as beginningless as you are endless, you who are blanketed by the ageless dust, are you not unmindful that without the life-generating fire of the Salamander, you of yourself are inert, unknowing of time, imprisoned within matterless, spiritless, unconscious unawareness of absolute zero? Without time there can be no motion; without motion there is no change; without change there are no interactions between immutable particles; without interactions no animations spring from your lifeless soil.

Praised be the Salamander who sparks your immortal terrain with immortality! Oh, you immortal terrain, changeless amidst change, you are the protean world of metamorphic metempsychosis, with successions of migrating souls incessantly crossing your ever-present stage. Oh, immortal terrain, your ova, your meaningful conglomerations of soil, water, and sunshine, when blessed with the breath of life by the sylphs of the air, become somatic bodies who fleetingly dance across your terrestrial playground until they exit and then disbecome. . .

All beginnings, all births, what are you if not terminations of previous consummations? If not inversions of hourglasses of time? Oh, sentient creatures, know you not that you derive your existence from time which is motion which is time? For without the orbs of the sun and the moon and the planets who continually move along the zodiacal highway of time, know you not that our movements might as well caught for naught? For without the orbs who correctly position themselves upon the stellar sphere, we could neither measure durations of earthly transformations nor chart the pilgrimage of earth's shifting sands. Oh, wondrous orbs of the heavens, you who with your ever-recurring, ever-recycling motions trace the efflorescent flow of time, you are divine seer who reads the palimpsest palm of earth!

Oh, ever-present terrain, the eyeglass of your encircling horizon peers at the refracted images of past and future and sees origins and destinies obliquely through the distance haze. Yet when I read the message inscribed upon the heavens, when I see that scroll that remains uneffaced by the passage of time, I understand the ageless notation and clearly see that the beginningless past and the endless future are conjoined upon the meridian of the ever-present, ever-solipsistic, ever-expanding eternal now, which is time which is motion which is time.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/van-cleef-and-arpels-lady-arpels-planetarium-introducing

Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The following 2 users Like Dekalb_Blues's post:
flofrog, Nía
04-07-2018, 07:52 AM,
RE: Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD)
Hubble Finds an Einstein Ring

[Image: potw1814a.jpg]

NASA Wrote:This image is packed full of galaxies! A keen eye can spot exquisite elliptical galaxies and spectacular spirals, seen at various orientations: edge-on with the plane of the galaxy visible, face-on to show off magnificent spiral arms, and everything in between.

With the charming name of SDSS J0146-0929, this is a galaxy cluster — a monstrous collection of hundreds of galaxies all shackled together in the unyielding grip of gravity. The mass of this galaxy cluster is large enough to severely distort the space-time around it, creating the odd, looping curves that almost encircle the center of the cluster.

These graceful arcs are examples of a cosmic phenomenon known as an Einstein ring. The ring is created as the light from a distant objects, like galaxies, pass by an extremely large mass, like this galaxy cluster. In this image, the light from a background galaxy is diverted and distorted around the massive intervening cluster and forced to travel along many different light paths toward Earth, making it seem as though the galaxy is in several places at once.

Source: NASA Image of the Day, 2018 April 6

Compassion, sensitivity, and an ability to empathize are helpful in avoiding the distortions of man-made intelligence and awareness.
04-09-2018, 01:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-27-2018, 05:01 PM by Dekalb_Blues.)
Misc. Abyssal Yet Intimate Astro-Ocular Matters (With A Moon Or Two Here And There)
~
[Image: 6cb997ad4b95b8696ddbd5e2d489aa6b.jpg]

Q: What do you think Nietzsche meant by "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. 
And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." (Beyond Good and Evil,  Leipzig: 1886)? What kind of monster? 
What does it mean to look into an abyss?

A: This is one of the aspects of Nietzsche that is easily overlooked by people who want to see him as simply nihilistic and destructive.

For Nietzsche, the construction of the self is not a religious act, an obligation, or an act of submission to nature, as variously seen 
by 'moralities' -- it is an art form. In The Joyful Science (Leipzig: 1882) he says something to the order of 'One must make of one's Self a 
work of art, carving away something here, growing something there, repurposing some mass of unavoidable ugliness elsewhere to present 
a more pleasant view from the distance...' (I do not have a copy here, and I cannot find it online, if someone can give me the words...)

A monster is one whose 'self' lacks 'art'.

Power may be the medium of morality, and its goal, but tasteless use of power is like tasteless use of any other medium. To see his 
aesthetic, you can look at his own artistic process, which he displayed over and over again by choosing mythological or poetic 
representations, or you can look at his critiques of other's work. Particularly, I think it is why he bothered to publish Nietzsche contra Wagner
(Leipzig: 1889). He accuses Wagner's music of being an assault on the audience, brandishing its scale in a way that shocks the senses and 
bruises the organs, and of having too little consistency and comprehensibility -- winding an endless melody, rather than a theme.

In this context, I think the quote about monsters indicates there are aesthetic choices that we should restrain ourselves from making 
even though they would be effective. We should choose scale, elegance and consistency. If others' use of power lacks art, we should 
not simply confront them with more power, if that involves less art. We should restrain ourselves.

In particular, I think 'an abyss' is a sort of monster, the monster of complete cynicism and true nihilism -- the completely empty man 
that early 'beatnik' post-modernism seems to favor. There is always power to be uncovered by renunciation of boundaries, but pursuing 
an utter lack of restraining form leaves one 'powerfully empty', and perhaps incapable of recovering one's artistic nature.

https://philosophy.stackexchange.com/questions/19805/what-did-nietzsche-mean-by-monsters-and-the-abyss

[Image: 1f35294a3d86009af01cb89b9211d30c.jpg]
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/caitlinmaet/come-on-try-it/

[Image: d6320eb59ed99554c390176cc5e98a6d.jpg]

[Image: UFOsAndExtraterrestrialsNaud.jpg]
Cover from Yves Naud, U.F.O.s and Extraterrestrials in History, 4 vols. (Geneva: Ferni Publishers, 1978)

[Image: 2cce2e68800408071b2e9c010249670f.jpg]
Salvador Dali, Argus (1963).  
For a chance to own Matisse's vibrant minimalist linocut Space-Octopus Ascendant (1944), see
http://clarkfineart.com/artists/20th-century-masters/henri-matisse/ornements-bandeaux-et-culs-de-lampe-variant-vi/

Cool
The following 3 users Like Dekalb_Blues's post:
flofrog, Nía, sunnysideup
04-10-2018, 10:40 AM,
NGC 6960: The Witch's Broom Nebula

[Image: ngc6960_Pugh_960.jpg]

Source: Astronomy Picture of the Day, 2018 April 08

Source: Astronomy Picture of the Day, 2018 April 09

Dragon Aurora over Norway

[Image: DragonAurora_Bastoni_960.jpg]

Source: Astronomy Picture of the Day, 2018 April 10

Compassion, sensitivity, and an ability to empathize are helpful in avoiding the distortions of man-made intelligence and awareness.
The following 1 user Likes Nía's post:
Dekalb_Blues
04-13-2018, 04:37 AM,
M22 and the Wanderers

[Image: mars_saturn_m22_2018_03_31dp1096.jpg]

Source: Astronomy Picture of the Day, 2018 April 12

04-27-2018, 12:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2018, 05:48 PM by Dekalb_Blues.)
À la voie Lactée & ESA's Gaia
[Image: x2ii1bmckrfigqngq8ll.png]

^ Typical view in rear-view fisheye mirror of UFO leaving our local galactic vicinity on a beer run

"The European Space Agency’s Gaia spacecraft team has dropped its long-awaited trove of data about 1.7 billion stars. You can see 
a new visualization of all those stars in the Milky Way and nearby galaxies above, but you really need to zoom in to appreciate just 
how much stuff there is in the map. Yes, the specks are stars. 

In addition to the 1.7 billion stars, this second release of data from Gaia contains the motions and color of 1.3 billion stars relative to

the Sun, as well as how the stars relate to things in the distant background based on the Earth’s position. It also features radial 
velocities, amount of dust, and surface temperatures of lots of stars, and a catalogue of over 14,000 Solar System objects, including 
asteroids. There is a shitload of data in this release."

-- from https://gizmodo.com/incredible-new-view-of-the-milky-way-is-the-largest-sta-1825526275
See also: https://sputniknews.com/science/201804251063908604-gaia-satellite-map-stars-milky-way/

[Image: 36ae509add90a5a9ce3e56c872848fd6--ocean-...galaxy.jpg]  Massive interstellar cloud of dust & ionized gases

[Image: 2937426017ed5208c61612379c677647--sun-ra...he-sea.jpg]  As above, so below, kinda sorta 

When it's sidereal time for beddy-bye, who want?:
[Image: 4278bf328cee03c116f4386191f56dc3--galaxy...edroom.jpg] 

Now for the trusty matching pajamas!:

[Image: e8d3463f31070634a465faf627cf39c8.jpg] High-tech onesies as worn in the nap room for the night shift at Mt. Palomar

Now playing (quietly) in said nap room:

Cool
The following 2 users Like Dekalb_Blues's post:
flofrog, sunnysideup
06-19-2018, 03:46 AM,
WOW! great find! I always try to google this
 finding cool looking potential background for my laptop! Big GrinTongue