Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD)
10-15-2017, 02:26 PM,
RE: Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD)
On the Origin of Gold

[Image: nsmerger3_heasarc_960.jpg]

APOD Wrote:Explanation: Where did the gold in your jewelry originate? No one is completely sure. The relative average abundance in our Solar System appears higher than can be made in the early universe, in stars, and even in typical supernova explosions. Some astronomers have suggested, and many believe, that neutron-rich heavy elements such as gold might be most easily made in rare neutron-rich explosions such as the collision of neutron stars. Pictured here is an artist's illustration depicting two neutron stars spiraling in toward each other, just before they collide. Since neutron star collisions are also suggested as the origin of short duration gamma-ray bursts, it is possible that you already own a souvenir from one of the most powerful explosions in the universe.

Source: APOD, 2017 October 15

Compassion, sensitivity, and an ability to empathize are helpful in avoiding the distortions of man-made intelligence and awareness.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The following 2 users Like Nía's post:
Glow, isis
10-17-2017, 06:44 AM,
When (Neutron) Stars Collide

[Image: neutron_star_merger_still_3.jpg]

Quote:This illustration shows the hot, dense, expanding cloud of debris stripped from two neutron stars just before they collided. Within this neutron-rich debris, large quantities of some of the universe's heaviest elements were forged, including hundreds of Earth masses of gold and platinum.

This represents the first time scientists detected light tied to a gravitational-wave event, thanks to two merging neutron stars in the galaxy NGC 4993, located about 130 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Hydra. Learn more about this phenomenon.

Source: NASA Image of the Day, 2017 October 16

See also this article about the same phenomenon: Einstein’s waves detected in star smash

Compassion, sensitivity, and an ability to empathize are helpful in avoiding the distortions of man-made intelligence and awareness.
10-19-2017, 02:43 PM,
M51: The Whirlpool Galaxy

[Image: M51_KerryLeckyHepburn_1024.jpg]

Source: APOD, 2017 October 19

10-27-2017, 02:45 PM,
Hubble Digs into Cosmic Archaeology

[Image: potw1743a.jpg]

Quote:This NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope image is chock-full of galaxies. Each glowing speck is a different galaxy, except the bright flash in the middle of the image which is actually a star lying within our own galaxy that just happened to be in the way. At the center of the image lies something especially interesting, the center of the massive galaxy cluster called WHL J24.3324-8.477, including the brightest galaxy of the cluster.

The Universe contains structures on various scales — planets collect around stars, stars collect into galaxies, galaxies collect into groups, and galaxy groups collect into clusters. Galaxy clusters contain hundreds to thousands of galaxies bound together by gravity. Dark matter and dark energy play key roles in the formation and evolution of these clusters, so studying massive galaxy clusters can help scientists to unravel the mysteries of these elusive phenomena

Source: NASA Image of the Day, 2017 October 27

10-28-2017, 09:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-29-2017, 10:16 PM by Dekalb_Blues.)
RE: A Troublous Hubbleous Disambiguation & Vintage Poem
~
Double Trouble:
[Image: srvdt-inductees-1.jpg]

Double Bubble:
[Image: 91LYLt8quPL._SX355_.jpg]

Hubble-bubble:
[Image: hookah_pipe.jpg]

Hubble Bubble:
[Image: hubblebubble.jpg]

http://nineplanets.org/news/hubbles-bubble-2 , https://phys.org/news/2016-04-hubble-star-inflating-giant.html

(BTW, This ^ is the intro sequence to my soon-to-be-released epic autobio, My Life In A Cosmic Filter Bubble* And Welcome To It, a sure-fire cinematic blockbuster coming to theatres near you if you're not quick enough to keep one step ahead of distribution. Expense was no object (what the hell, it's just borrowed money anyway, it's not like it's real or anything) when it came to filming around the world on-location in all the low dives, hellholes, and fever spots high-class watering holes, privately-owned paradisiacal South Sea islands and other de luxe locales that I've impudently infested graced with my presence in a grimly dreary tramp-steamer an action-packed jet-set lifestyle. I've used the new cutting-edge 4th-Densit-O-Rama Virtual Higher-Reality process, in which voice-to-skull**, Pennsylvania Dutch hexing***, Eye-of-Osiris-augmented evil-eye****, and modified cattle-prod***** technology is used to give the lucky viewers an ultra-invasive inner sense of dramatic metaphysical realities hitherto unimagined by sane minds, much less realized on the silver screen by the usual everyday bunch of even-insaner minds in the moving-picture industry.)

* http://www.niemanlab.org/2012/are-we-stuck-in-filter-bubbles-here-are-five-potential-paths-out
** https://www.wired.com/2008/05/army-removes-pa
*** https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/hex-signs-of-pennsylvania
**** http://rossenergysystems.com/Downloads/Paper_The-Electrophysical-Basis-Of-Evil-Eye-Belief.pdf
***** https://i.imgur.com/hLjkCyj.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just pour lagniappe: Chanced upon this in The Century (Vol. 33, No. 5, March, 1887), a popular and in today's terms rather erudite quarterly, whilst doing research on the American Civil War in Victorian Era literature:

Applied Astronomy

He took me out to see the stars,
     That astronomic bore;
He said there was two moons near Mars,
     While Jupiter had four.

I thought of course he'd whisper soon
     What fourfold bliss 'twould be
To stroll beneath that fourfold moon
     On Jupiter with me.

And when he spoke of Saturn's ring,
     I was convinced he'd say
That was the very kind of thing
     To offer me some day.

But in a tangent off he went
     To double stars. Now that
Was most suggestive, so content
     And quite absorbed I sat.

But no, he talked a dreary mess
     Of which the only fraction
That caught my fancy, I confess,
     Was "mutual attraction".

I said I thought it very queer
     And stupid altogether,
For stars to keep so very near
     And yet not come together.

At that he smiled, and turned his head;
     I thought he'd caught the notion;
He merely bowed good-night and said
     Their safety lay in motion.

---- Esther B. Tiffany (1858 - ?, American playwright, novelist, poet)

An early (and deftly-put) example given by a lady litterateur hip to certain advanced implications of the grand evolutionary-genetical/sociobiological scam awaiting the unwary incarnate, that when it comes to a certain kind of crucial communication between the terrestrial human sexes, it's effectively as if (to coin a subject-felicitous phrase) men were from Mars, and women from Venus...  Cool

The following 1 user Likes Dekalb_Blues's post:
Nía
11-12-2017, 04:47 PM,
Rare Encircling Filament

[Image: pia22104.jpg]

Quote:NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory came across an oddity that the spacecraft has rarely observed before: a dark filament encircling an active region (Oct. 29-31, 2017). Solar filaments are clouds of charged particles that float above the sun, tethered to it by magnetic forces. They are usually elongated and uneven strands. Only a handful of times before have we seen one shaped like a circle. The black area to the left of the brighter active region is a coronal hole, a magnetically open region of the sun. While it may have no major scientific value, it is noteworthy because of its rarity.

Source: NASA Image of the Day, 2017 November 08

11-12-2017, 06:26 PM,
My friend saw on TV someone saying that now they are finding there are quadrillions of galaxies. I can't find a reference for this though on the web.

Probably there are an infinite number, even in 3D, if you include outside the observable Universe.

There is an anthro somewhere who needs me and I need them.
The following 1 user Likes IndigoGeminiWolf's post:
Nía
11-20-2017, 03:11 PM,
Behold! Observing the Sun

[Image: sdo.jpg]

Quote:A broad hole in the corona was the Sun's dominant feature November 7-9, 2017, as shown in this image from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory. The hole is easily recognizable as the dark expanse across the top of the Sun and extending down in each side. Coronal holes are magnetically open areas on the Sun that allow high-speed solar wind to gush out into space. They always appear darker in extreme ultraviolet. This one was likely the source of bright aurora that shimmered for numerous observers, with some reaching down even to Nebraska.

Source: NASA Image of the Day, 2017 November 20

More NASA news, sadly not as awe-inspiring: Nasa map of Earth's seasons over 20 years highlights climate change

The following 1 user Likes Nía's post:
sunnysideup