The Four Elements
06-12-2019, 09:47 AM,
The Four Elements
I want to talk about the four elements of Malkuth, the material plane.

[Image: cropped-Earth-symbol-cropped-1.jpg]

The symbol for earth is a quartered circle, each quarter to represent an element: fire, air, water, and earth. These manifest as physical elements which the material plane is composed of. The elements also indicate four types of activity in the physical plane, known as fire of the wise, air of the wise, water of the wise, and earth of the wise. The types of activity or modes of manifestation are what’s meant when we talk about elements in esoteric philosophy and metaphysical theory.

The material plane is where the forms build up in Yesod, Foundation, are bodies forth. “It will draw to itself the conditions of material expression.”

[Image: 83105777-raster-illustration-four-elemen....jpg?ver=6]

We can classify the four elements under two headings: anabolism and katabolism; building-up (Water/earth) and breaking-down (air/fire).

Elemental Fire - “is that subtle electromagnetic aspect of matter which is the link with the processes of consciousness and life.” Elemental fire is said to be a kind of “over-state” of matter; a state of relationships rather than a thing in itself, Dion Fortune states.

Elemental Air - is the capacity to achieve these relationships; it is the vital principle of physical life; “for it is only in so far as matter has a capacity for organization that organic substance is possible.”

Elemental Water - is plain protoplasm

Elemental Earth - is inorganic matter.

Fire/air are force; and water/earth are form. On the Tree of Life, Yesod precedes MALKUTH and is the watery sphere of the moon. Yesod is the Foundation. Material manifestation happens in Malkuth, the sphere of earth, the four elements.

The four elements also correspond to four types of temperaments in man, as described by Hippocrates, the four Tarot suits, the 12 signs of the Zodiac, and the seven planets.

To Earth corresponds the Phlegmatic Temperament; the suit of Pentacles, the signs of Taurus ♉️, Virgo ♍️, and Capricorn ♑️; and the planets Venus and Luna.

To Water corresponds the Bilious Temperament; the suit of Cups; the signs of Cancer ♋️, Scorpio ♏️, and Pisces ♓️; and the planet Mars.

To Air corresponds the Choleric Temperament; the suit of Swords; the signs of Libra ♎️, Gemini ♊️, and Aquarius ♒️; and the planets Saturn and Mercury.

To Fire corresponds the Sanguine Temperament; the suit of Wanda; the signs of Aries ♈️, Sagittarius ♐️, and Leo ♌️; and the planets Sol and Jupiter.

Quote:When we consider the microcosmic Tree, the physical body is in Malkuth; the etheric double is Yesod; the astromental body is Hod and Netzach; and the higher mind is Tiphareth. Whatever the higher mind can conceive can be readily brought through into manifestation in the subjective Malkuth.
[...]
The best magical weapon is the Magus himself, and all other contrivances are but a means to an end, the end being that exaltation and concentration of consciousness which makes a magus out of an ordinary man. “Know ye not that ye are the temple of the living God?” said a Great One. If we know how to use the symbolic furniture of this living temple, we have the keys to heaven in our hands.”
—Dion Fortune, The Mystical Qabalah

So, let’s talk about the elements. What do you know about the four elements? I’ve by no means covered it all. Id like to get a deeper understanding of these principles.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The following 1 user Likes Nau7ik's post:
loostudent
06-12-2019, 02:36 PM,
RE: The Four Elements
There are 5 elements. You didn't mention Ether or Spirit. Just as there are 4 psychic functions and one transcendental function. In the temple space of the Elements used for the call. Personally, it is very difficult for me to understand the principles of ritual work, without practical application. I compared the information of Ra with the information of the Golden Dawn, there are many differences. But there are also significant intersections of course. Don was interested in Western Esoteric Tradition as far as I could understand. And the elements are used in the Middle Pillar - symbolizing 5 mental centers and 5 Names of God. Accordingly including Keter, Daat, Tiferet, Yesod, Malkut. Unfortunately, I do not know the topic well enough, just interested and looking for answers.
The following 1 user Likes Vasilisa's post:
kristina
06-12-2019, 04:35 PM,
(06-12-2019, 09:47 AM)Nau7ik Wrote:  So, let’s talk about the elements. What do you know about the four elements? I’ve by no means covered it all. Id like to get a deeper understanding of these principles.

A couple things to consider then:

The 4 classical elements (+ the fifth/quintessential "ether") are Greek/European in origin. This is important to note due to differences between planetary/racial minds (Greeks/Europeans being Atlantean, being Martian). Ask the descendants of Mu/Lemuria (Chinese, Eskimos, Native Americans, etc; being Denebians) and they'll tell you there's 5 elements including wood (2D body/flesh) and metal, but no air. How do you reconcile these discrepancies? Which one is more accurate? Or, could it be (gasp!), that both models are flawed as are so many things "philosophized" by a 3D mind?

You're looking at things from a very qabalistic/Judaic perspective, which some may find unnecessarily abstruse/convoluted. Just because Ra played along with Don too, doesn't mean these "elements" were anything more than poetic/symbolic representations. A workable system for those that may find use in such things (like the tarot or astrology). But ultimately the work of a 3D mind seeing things from its 3D-tainted glasses.

Perhaps, if you wish for a "cleaner" understanding of the elements (1D), it might be advisable to take a look at the the Earth (planet) during the Hadean eon, before 2D begun, and dwell therein. Pure, unadulterd elemental awareness. And bear in mind: 1D spends most of its cycle in a non-physical, timeless state, coming straight outta the Creator itself.  

Might be worthwhile reconsidering this notion that 1D represents some "gross physical plane".
The following 3 users Like Salt's post:
flofrog, kristina, sunnysideup
06-12-2019, 06:56 PM,
Yes, Salt, I was really interested when studying a bit Chinese medicine as, yes there was no air, but wood and metal.

There is a really very interesting small book about a Chinese system for perfecting health :
The Five-Elements Wellness Plan

It was written by a German lady called Barbara Temelie, pretty fascinating.

For exemple, the element wood governs the liver and the gallbladder, the climatic factor: wind, the color green, and the sour taste are all allocated to it.

I used this book at one time when my daughter had specific issue with intestine, and for several weeks I cooked along this plan. The results were awesome. My daughter felt better after five days, my son had less trouble with reading, we all felt better as if our body had a good tune-up..

I will go back to it once in a while. If anyone here has some health issues, you might want to look into it. It doesn’t require great cooking skills nor exotic ingredients, no calorie counting. It’s really an interesting way to do things.

There are lots of soups and vegetarian dishes and you follow a certain order ( following elements ) in the way you add ingredients to the pot or the pan. If you really get into it, it will stay with you, I still know it and that was in 2002....
The following 1 user Likes flofrog's post:
sunnysideup
06-12-2019, 07:38 PM,
(06-12-2019, 06:56 PM)flofrog Wrote:  Yes, Salt, I was really interested when studying a bit Chinese medicine as, yes there was no air, but wood and metal.

Yes, I was wondering where wood and metal fit in.
06-13-2019, 09:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 09:20 AM by Nau7ik.)
(06-12-2019, 07:38 PM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote:  
(06-12-2019, 06:56 PM)flofrog Wrote:  Yes, Salt, I was really interested when studying a bit Chinese medicine as, yes there was no air, but wood and metal.

Yes, I was wondering where wood and metal fit in.

I think of wood and metal as earth elements. I had always found that strange, wood and metal being Chinese elements.

I did not include Akasha because spirit is not properly an element of MALKUTH. Malkuth is the material plane. Spirit is not material and belongs higher up the Tree (Tiphareth). I included Yeaod because we can’t have a proper understanding of the material plane without understanding that material manifestation is the very last step. The forms are build up in Yesod and bodied forth into physical manifestation in Malkuth. These four elements make up the stuff of physical manifestation and their modes of manifesting. Feel free to share other philosophies and understandings of the elements. This is a qabalistic understanding. It is not complete and all knowing. I never claim that.
The following 1 user Likes Nau7ik's post:
flofrog
06-15-2019, 03:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2019, 03:11 AM by loostudent.)
Once I meditated on water. What is written in water? What is it teaching me? I took some notes:

One characteristic: it can flow. Life is movement, stream, run. Again and again you have to change. If the water doesn't move for very long it becomes stale and murky. You always have to go forward to stay fresh.

Second: flexibility. Water easily changes shape according to environment. It adapts to container. State of matter also changes with temperature. Water (H2O) is not only water - it's also ice and steam.

Balance. Water flows but somewhere it's also still. Life is not always and only movement. It's also stillness. Sometimes it's time for silence, prayer, meditation, contemplation. And how much life do we spend sleeping? It's not only work. It's also rest. Even the impetuous agitated sea is unrestfull on the surface but in the depths it's still.

Next thing is hygiene and cleanliness. Cleaning, washing, purifying. All is connected with water. In life come also trials. Water is not affraid of dirt. It takes it. Take and carry your cross.

Water is connected with life. It fuels life. It's the majority of our body and our planet's surface. It's the primary drink. And a habitat for water life. It creates numerous snowflakes, every one unique. It's also fun - skiing, throwing snowballs, swimming, sauna, sailing etc.

It also has destructive power. Just think of tsunami and floods. Water often represents emotions. They can help us in relations and beatifuly color our experience, yet they can turn into a destructive chaos and discord.
------------
Grace to you and peace from God our Father.
The following 3 users Like loostudent's post:
ada, Cainite, Nau7ik
06-15-2019, 09:09 AM,
Amazing loostudent!! This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. I think that I should meditate on the elements now. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that, lol.

I am planning an exercise which builds up “telesmic images” of the archangels. The first step is to “build up” the rough shape of a body using Elemental energy. So knowing the good and bad qualities of the elements is very helpful. It needs to be consistent with the archangel because these telesmic images are meant to act as a kind of channel. It gives more power to rituals like the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram or the setting of the Wards of Power (basically the same thing as the LBRP). Because the visualizations and invocations are more focused and concrete in our consciousness.

Thank you again!
Yesterday, 07:21 AM, (This post was last modified: Yesterday, 07:23 AM by loostudent.)
Thank you Nau7ik! I'm glad it served you. You encouraged me to do some more.

Meditation on air

Human organism can survive without water for a few days. What about air? Just a few minutes! Air is much more primary for life, despite we are usually little aware of this.

In the Book of Genesis it is written about the early state of creation: "The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters."

Invisibility. We don't see air but we feel when it moves. We can see it only indirectly, when it moves other things. It's so subtle. That's why air is often representing the spiritual principle. Also the birds and wings. The word for spirit is breath. It brings to life and enables consciousness and activity. We know that air enables (potentiates?) fire, while the water puts it out.

Air enables flying. Free movement. Air can also be very unpredictable. Just think of weather. I think of freedom and (free) will.

Similarly as water air also needs constant flow to keep the freshness. You have to look for fresh drinking water but air is everywhere. Air as every element can also have a destructive side ...

An important aspect: communication and meaning. Voice, sound, listening, music, words. All this is connected with air waves. It also transmits smell. This enables us to know what smells and what stinks. This reminds me also of the inner voice/compas - consciouss.
------------
Grace to you and peace from God our Father.
The following 4 users Like loostudent's post:
ada, Cainite, kristina, Nau7ik
Yesterday, 10:37 AM,
What element do radio waves and radiation fall under?

And when you use an electric stove to heat food, is that fire?