Episode #61
08-02-2017, 02:06 PM,
Episode #61
Episode #61

In this episode, we discuss:
- The dynamic between discipline and acceptance of the self.

A transcript for this episode will be posted once it is available.

Feel free to discuss this episode in this thread!
The following 2 users Like Bring4th_Austin's post:
rva_jeremy, xise
08-02-2017, 02:35 PM,
RE: Episode #61
Is it just me or have we had like three episodes drop within the span of a week? Good job guys!

Jeremy
It is not that love will tell you what to do.
It is that love will tell you how to do it with love.
Q'uo 3/19/06
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2017, 03:30 PM,
Also, wanted to share something I read in Pema Chödrön's When Things Fall Apart that I thought described a very compassionate approach to discipline. It's actually very similar to the way you all discussed it!

Quote:Complete discipline means that at every opportunity, we're willing to come back, just gently come back to the present moment.

This strikes me as hardly describing an exercise in controlling the self harshly. Instead, discipline means simply not giving up on the flawed, confused, striving self as it pursues its goal.

Thanks again for discussing my question!

Jeremy
Q'uo 3/19/06
The following 1 user Likes rva_jeremy's post:
Bring4th_Austin
08-02-2017, 03:53 PM,
I just started listening to these treasures!

You have my thanks!
The following 1 user Likes Cainite's post:
Bring4th_Austin
08-02-2017, 03:59 PM,
I'm really, really resonating with what you all are saying. This attitude of friendliness towards the self seems to be the key to discipline. I like how Austin describes sitting with urges and impulses instead of simply reacting to them. Truly paying attention to the urge or impulse will help you understand and face whatever it is behind the urge or impulse, and it's a "baby step" towards saying no by asking the self "what is it exactly I'm saying no to?"

Jeremy
Q'uo 3/19/06
08-04-2017, 09:49 AM,
(08-02-2017, 02:35 PM)rva_jeremy Wrote:  Is it just me or have we had like three episodes drop within the span of a week?  Good job guys!

I slipped up and missed a publishing day, so it was published weekly for the past 3 weeks, and then slipped up again and forgot to post one on Bring4th, so posted two threads in one day last week. We should be back to a somewhat normal schedule (though Homecoming is bound to interrupt it probably).

(08-02-2017, 03:30 PM)rva_jeremy Wrote:  Also, wanted to share something I read in Pema Chödrön's When Things Fall Apart that I thought described a very compassionate approach to discipline.  It's actually very similar to the way you all discussed it!

Quote:Complete discipline means that at every opportunity, we're willing to come back, just gently come back to the present moment.

This strikes me as hardly describing an exercise in controlling the self harshly.  Instead, discipline means simply not giving up on the flawed, confused, striving self as it pursues its goal.

Thanks again for discussing my question!

It reminds me of something I heard to help in mindfulness meditation. When we find ourselves carried away by our thoughts instead of simply witnessing them, as mindfulness calls for, a very simple way to guide ourselves back is to ask the question, "Avoiding?"

Not necessarily to explore the answer to the question, the single-word question is a gentle guidance that really helps to soothe the self and allow our awareness to remain centered in the state of mindfulness. It's not a command, it's not forceful, it more serves as a gentle suggestion.
The following 1 user Likes Bring4th_Austin's post:
rva_jeremy
08-04-2017, 04:00 PM,
(08-04-2017, 09:49 AM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote:  It reminds me of something I heard to help in mindfulness meditation. When we find ourselves carried away by our thoughts instead of simply witnessing them, as mindfulness calls for, a very simple way to guide ourselves back is to ask the question, "Avoiding?"

Not necessarily to explore the answer to the question, the single-word question is a gentle guidance that really helps to soothe the self and allow our awareness to remain centered in the state of mindfulness. It's not a command, it's not forceful, it more serves as a gentle suggestion.

That's an intriguing way to handle the wandering mind.  Chödrön talks about the technique she uses of labelling.  Anytime you catch your mind wandering, you just say "thinking" and come back to stillness.  I'm wondering if there's any difference between a question that suggests and a label that judges.  While the former seems a bit gentler, it also seems to imply the need for a response.  The latter strikes me as a bit more emphatic, but she also talks about how one of her students says "thinking, good buddy" in order to soften the discipline and practice that unconditional friendliness towards the self.

I'll try the "avoiding?" method tomorrow.

Jeremy
Q'uo 3/19/06
08-09-2017, 06:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2017, 06:01 PM by rva_jeremy.)
By the way I dug up this old Hatonn passage on discipline that I thought at the time was really profound:

Quote:That which distracts is always a detail, that which calls you back to remembrance is always discipline.

Q'uo, April 6, 2003

It definitely recapitulates other quotes and techniques we described above!

Jeremy
Q'uo 3/19/06
The following 1 user Likes rva_jeremy's post:
Bring4th_Jade