Bring4th
what movie did you last watch? - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Community (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Art, Media, & Entertainment (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: what movie did you last watch? (/showthread.php?tid=9894)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: what movie did you last watch? - eccentric1 - 09-03-2015

(11-26-2014, 05:34 PM)sunnysideup Wrote: [Image: The_Dark_Crystal_Film_Poster.jpg]

Totally a "Law of One" movie in every way.... required viewing for anyone who participates in this forum!

RE: what movie did you last watch? - darklight - 10-20-2015

A new Star Wars trailer:

RE: what movie did you last watch? - APeacefulWarrior - 10-20-2015

Yeah, I have to say, even the trailer for Ep VII feels more Star Warsy than the Prequels did. I REALLY hope JJA doesn't screw this up. My only complaint is how much of a focus the trailer has on Tatooine. I'm thoroughly sick of Tatooine and I'm hoping it doesn't feature too heavily in the story.

That, and I'm wondering if it's intentional that the female lead looks like she could be related to Leia and\or Padme.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - darklight - 10-20-2015

(10-20-2015, 01:13 PM)APeacefulWarrior Wrote: Yeah, I have to say, even the trailer for Ep VII feels more Star Warsy than the Prequels did.  I REALLY hope JJA doesn't screw this up.  My only complaint is how much of a focus the trailer has on Tatooine.  I'm thoroughly sick of Tatooine and I'm hoping it doesn't feature too heavily in the story.

That, and I'm wondering if it's intentional that the female lead looks like she could be related to Leia and\or Padme.

The forest moon of Endor would be a much better place, like in Return of the Jedi.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - AnthroHeart - 10-20-2015

Infinity: The Ultimate Trip

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Dylan - 10-27-2015

The Terminator !! And Terminator 2, back to back lol

RE: what movie did you last watch? - isis - 11-13-2015

Some recent watches that I enjoyed:

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
Kon-Tiki (2012)
Secret Ballot (2001)
Saving Mr. Banks (2013)
Lawless (2012)
Nightcrawler (2014)
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)
The Sunset Limited (2011)
The Rum Diary (2011)
The Water Diviner (2014)
Papillon (1973)
Up (2009)
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
Far from the Madding Crowd (2015)
Citizenfour (2014)

RE: what movie did you last watch? - AnthroHeart - 11-13-2015

The 5 People you Meet in Heaven. It was touching.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Jade - 11-29-2015

On Thanksgiving and the day after we watched the first three of the Star Trek TNG movies: Generations, First Contact, and Insurrection. I enjoyed them all - First Contact was probably the best, extremely solid movie. The other two were more sentimental but still good. The final one (Nemesis) has a terrible review rating but we'll probably still watch it soon.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Parsons - 12-02-2015

I watched Inside Out. I think it may have dethroned WALL-E as my favorite Pixar / all-CGI film.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 12-21-2015

Creed (2015)

very dull, uninspiring Rocky film.  Wasn't expecting a lot, and it still felt flat.  Hackneyed storyline, almost tedious type family drama.  Just didn't go into any new territory for me.

Antman (2015)

whoa!  This film came out of nowhere for me.  Totally didn't know the Marvel backstory.  Everything about this film just fell into place.  The simple, but wellscripted storyline, the superb casting, the astonishing editing, and even really really good CGI use.  Funny too.  Did I mention the editing?  I think I did.  This is one enjoyable flick.  Ticks all the boxes.  A well-balanced entity, if a movie could be an entity BigSmile

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 12-22-2015

The Hateful 8 (2015)

Tarentino's latest flick.  Feels like a recycling of many of the things he's done before.  Don't get me wrong - still a good quality film, very much watchable.  But the shock tactics in language get a little old.  Nice mystery on the plot.

8/10

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 01-02-2016

Hugo (2011) was great.  Had a lot of fun with it, and learnt a lot

:tu:

RE: what movie did you last watch? - rva_jeremy - 01-04-2016

Interstellar was pretty awesome.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 01-09-2016

The Revenant (2015)

truly an atmospheric and totally immersing film.  Leo should get his Oscar for this one.  Plot - not so great - but everything else - JUST *WOW*.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 01-13-2016

Spotlight (2015)

Based on true events, and is a testament to the skill of investigative journalism (The Boston Globe).  Brings into focus the power of yellow-ray social institutions, the the enormous effect they can wield on the poor and disenfranchised.

When they look at films in 20 years time, I am thinking 2015 will be remembered for three notable contributions:

Mad Max: Fury Road  (red ray survival)
The Revenant (orange ray selfhood)
Spotlight (yellow ray institutions)

RE: what movie did you last watch? - isis - 01-13-2016

(01-13-2016, 12:23 PM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: When they look at films in 20 years time, I am thinking 2015 will be remembered for three notable contributions:

Mad Max: Fury Road  (red ray survival)
The Revenant (orange ray selfhood)
Spotlight (yellow ray institutions)

I haven't seen many of the movies that came out in 2015 yet...but so far on my list of "notable contributions of 2015" I'd put:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Jurassic World
Inside Out
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2
Ex Machina

Just watched "Unbroken" (2014) last night & enjoyed it. It's a true story & directed by Angelina Jolie. Just before that was "The Other Boleyn Girl" (2008) which I also liked.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 02-26-2016

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)

great visual effects!

imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1623205/

RE: what movie did you last watch? - native - 02-26-2016

Annie Hall, which was great..Diane Keaton was really good in it. I always thought Woody Allen seemed annoying by the little clips I would see of him and avoided his films, but after watching Fading Gigolo (actually directed by John Turturro) I realized he's absolutely hilarious. Fading Gigolo wasn't that good but there are some great lines by Woody in it.

(12-22-2015, 02:37 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: Tarentino's latest flick.

Some trivia..Hateful 8 was partly inspired by The Thing (Carpenter '82), and uses some of the unused score from The Thing by Ennio Morricone. Reservoir Dogs was also inspired by The Thing..being trapped/enclosed, a mystery whodunit. I thought the score for Hateful 8 was AWESOME..saw the movie in 70mm.

Also, Tarantino's movies all exist in a shared universe. Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction is the brother of Mr. Blonde/Vic Vega. http://www.ifc.com/2015/02/tarantino-guide-shared-universe

"The director told The Project that there is the "realer than real" universe which is where all the characters live and then there's a separate movie universe that all the characters talk about.

"So From Dusk Till Dawn, Kill Bill, they all take place in this special movie universe," Tarantino said. "So when all the characters of Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction, when they go to the movies, Kill Bill is what they go to see. From Dusk Till Dawn is what they see."

As Dazed Magazine points out, a perfect example is Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction. When she's sitting at the table in the diner and describing the pilot of her fictional television program Fox Force Five to Vincent Vega, she basically sums up the plot of Kill Bill."

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/19/10790040/quentin-tarantino-confirms-all-of-his-movies-exist-within-one-universe

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Jade - 02-26-2016

(02-26-2016, 12:32 PM)Icaro Wrote: Annie Hall, which was great..Diane Keaton was really good in it. I always thought Woody Allen seemed annoying by the little clips I would see of him and avoided his films, but after watching Fading Gigolo (actually directed by John Turturro) I realized he's absolutely hilarious. Fading Gigolo wasn't that good but there are some great lines by Woody in it.

My coworker always tells me to watch this movie because I remind her of Diane Keaton in it, apparently. Hope that's a good thing! I should probably watch it to find out!

She's a smiling goofball in it, so it's a compliment Smile

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Indigo Blue Dragonfly - 02-26-2016

Just finished the 10 episode series on Amazon of "The Man in the High Castle" which is a fiction story of what America would be like had the Germans won. It has more to it than that. I am not sure where the entire story is going, but it has something to do with thought/reality creation. Very interesting and fast paced show.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Jade - 02-26-2016

(02-26-2016, 02:01 PM)Icaro Wrote: She's a smiling goofball in it, so it's a compliment Smile

Okay, that's a relief. I thought it was possible that she was like a neurotic crazy girl lover type or something, and her lack of sanity was what made the connection haha.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - zvonimir - 03-07-2016

http://youtu.be/bGK15jOjAUo The Master and the Carriage - Gurdjieff

RE: what movie did you last watch? - native - 03-07-2016

I recently watched Persona, by Ingmar Bergman..a Swedish film. It's probably the best movie I've seen, and it's considered a masterpiece in cinema. It's about a nurse taking care of a patient in a summer home who has taken a vow of silence. The identities between the two begin to blur. It's an entirely spiritual/psychological movie. The trailer for it is terrible, so don't let that be discouraging.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 03-11-2016

American Hustle

triggered a nasty bout of red-ray catalyst.  To do with deprivation, discardation, the thronging to survive.  Some nasty stuff.  Took me half a day to really get a handle on.

Kung Fu Hustle

absolutely hilarious film.  Best martial arts film of all time??  

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Stranger - 03-11-2016

Wolf Children (2012) - discovered it by accident and loved this film. It speaks very poignantly to themes of being different (wanderers, anyone?), and how quickly time goes by, kids grow up, etc. It really moved me.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 03-11-2016

looks like an interesting film going by the reviews Smile

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 03-12-2016

Fast Furious 7

This franchise has become a giant self-referential joke by this point, so as long as you know that going in, you won't be disappointed by having expectations of any sort of 'realism' or 'authenticity'.

but thanks Paul Walker for all the road races.  I liked the first few movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk