Bring4th
what movie did you last watch? - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Community (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Art, Media, & Entertainment (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: what movie did you last watch? (/showthread.php?tid=9894)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: what movie did you last watch? - darklight - 01-22-2015

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/

The worst thing that can happen, is falling into a black hole....

[Image: ajVIvOd.jpg]

RE: what movie did you last watch? - isis - 02-05-2015

watched these last month. been on a foreign movie kick

Munyurangabo (2007), The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014), Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2012), Elysium (2013), Aaltra (2014), L'enfant (2015), Spirited Away (2001), The Intouchables (2011), Lucky (2005), Choking Man (2006)

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 02-05-2015

you're a regular film buff there isis  Smile

I just watched Nightcrawler, which is beautifully shot, but the central character is one distorted individual!  It's an amazing film experience though, being on the streets of Los Angeles.

and also Gone Girl, which features a couple of rather unsympathetic leads.  I watched it more for the director - David Fincher - rather than the inherent plot or acting.  It basically becomes a police procedural, ala Zodiac, one of Fincher's previous films, halfway through.  Not a recommend in my eyes. Ben Aflleck is just a bad actor lol.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Bluebell - 02-05-2015

i thought the beginning of GG was slow & the characters meh but i still have no idea wut it's about because i stopped watching.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 02-05-2015

lol Bluebell.

it's getting a lot of attention and buzz - only reason I gave it a shot.  Plus Fincher.  But yeah, it was pretty 'meh' overall.  3/10

RE: what movie did you last watch? - AnthroHeart - 02-05-2015

I want to see Project Almanac, but will probably wait till it's on Netflix.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Bluebell - 02-05-2015

Fincher is brilliant when the script/cast is. i find his consistent use of sickly green filters enjoyable but GG just looks depressing. did i imagine or was it steely blue instead? somehow it seemed that way.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Monica - 02-09-2015

Cloud Atlas

Would anyone like to explain it to me? When I saw the trailer, I decided it was going to be my future favorite movie, but was sorely disappointed. So much potential...but what was the point?

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Bring4th_Austin - 02-17-2015

(02-09-2015, 09:18 PM)Monica Wrote: Cloud Atlas

Would anyone like to explain it to me? When I saw the trailer, I decided it was going to be my future favorite movie, but was sorely disappointed. So much potential...but what was the point?

I felt the same way you did going into the movie...it looked like it would be an expression of my own beliefs around reincarnation and spiritual evolution, but I found it to be somewhat of a confusing mess!

At the time, my coworker decided to pick up the book to read it, and he was captivated even though the idea was outside of his own belief system. We spent a few shifts discussing it and with his explanations from the book, the movie made a lot more sense. It sounds like in the book, the theme and focus is presented much more clearly, and the puzzle pieces fall into place in ways they simply don't in the movie. There were entire scenes that seemed crucial to the plot of the story that were omitted from the movie. They changed some crucial plot points for no understandable reason, too. 

I think the movie is an example of the creators biting off more than they could chew. The scope is truly epic, but the execution really left me confused. I haven't read the book, but I will say that I did like the movie better after my coworker explained a few things to me, only because some things were cleared up.

Maybe if you have the time, you'll enjoy the book?

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Spaced - 02-17-2015

I loved the book Cloud Atlas, but I don't have much interest in seeing the movie. I can't see how it would translate well to the screen. I really want to read David Mitchell's new book The Bone Clocks.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Monica - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 08:57 PM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 09:18 PM)Monica Wrote: Cloud Atlas

I felt the same way you did going into the movie...it looked like it would be an expression of my own beliefs around reincarnation and spiritual evolution, but I found it to be somewhat of a confusing mess!

At the time, my coworker decided to pick up the book to read it, and he was captivated even though the idea was outside of his own belief system. We spent a few shifts discussing it and with his explanations from the book, the movie made a lot more sense. It sounds like in the book, the theme and focus is presented much more clearly, and the puzzle pieces fall into place in ways they simply don't in the movie. There were entire scenes that seemed crucial to the plot of the story that were omitted from the movie. They changed some crucial plot points for no understandable reason, too. 

I think the movie is an example of the creators biting off more than they could chew. The scope is truly epic, but the execution really left me confused. I haven't read the book, but I will say that I did like the movie better after my coworker explained a few things to me, only because some things were cleared up.

Maybe if you have the time, you'll enjoy the book?

Thanks! I may do that!

I agree that it seemed like too epic for a single movie. Maybe they should have planned a trilogy, like they did with The Matrix. (I could tell it was the W Brothers even before I knew it.)

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Monica - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 10:01 PM)Spaced Wrote: I loved the book Cloud Atlas, but I don't have much interest in seeing the movie. I can't see how it would translate well to the screen. I really want to read David Mitchell's new book The Bone Clocks.

Oh I got that from the library...looked interesting...but I never got around to reading it and ended up taking it back. Please let me know what you think of it.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 02-18-2015

on further reflection, Nightcrawler really is the film of the year (2014).

the acting, the filming, the script.  It's just an amazing experience.  Truly cinematic, and inspiring for it's technical skill in execution.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - isis - 02-24-2015

moonrise kingdom. so cute

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Jade - 02-25-2015

I've heard Moonrise Kingdom was good, I should watch it, I always liked Wes Anderson.

I'm not huge on movies but an interview with Michael Keaton sold me on Birdman - watched it, it was okay.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Minyatur - 02-25-2015

Anyone watched Doctor Who? I'm rewatching it and it amazes how much deep wisdom lies in this serie.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Ashim - 02-25-2015

(02-25-2015, 01:55 PM)Minyatur Wrote: Anyone watched Doctor Who? I'm rewatching it and it amazes how much deep wisdom lies in this serie.

Since I was about 3 years of age, hiding behind the sofa.
More recently, I really enjoyed Matt Smith and the beautiful Karen Gillan.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Minyatur - 02-25-2015

(02-25-2015, 02:53 PM)Ashim Wrote:
(02-25-2015, 01:55 PM)Minyatur Wrote: Anyone watched Doctor Who? I'm rewatching it and it amazes how much deep wisdom lies in this serie.

I'm at season 5 and it's them, love that doctor.

(02-25-2015, 03:20 PM)Minyatur Wrote:
(02-25-2015, 02:53 PM)Ashim Wrote:

I'm at season 5 and it's them, love that doctor.

For anyone interested here is a link to lots of the new Doctor Who series: 

http://allnewepisodes.com/?q=doctor+who

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Bring4th_Austin - 02-25-2015

I saw Jupiter Ascending over the weekend - it was a huge disappointment.

When I first heard about it and saw a teaser, I thought it would be a really awesome movie. Those Wachowskis have a great imagination and a mind for philosophical subtext. But the movie was a mess, the dialogue bland, the acting sub-par and at some points downright strange. And the story was nonsensical, with the same rehashed theme from the Matrix. I would say that it's worth watching for the visual spectacle, since it is a marvel to look at. But honestly, I don't think the visuals offer enough redemption.

To give you an idea of how bad it was, the movie theater we were in was decently crowded. Everyone was very polite and quiet, up until about halfway through when we all started to slowly realize that it wasn't going to get better. By the end, there were moments that were supposed to be inspiring, emotional, or sad, but each moment landed so poorly and gracelessly that everyone was laughing.

(02-25-2015, 06:18 PM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: I saw Jupiter Ascending over the weekend - it was a huge disappointment.

When I first heard about it and saw a teaser, I thought it would be a really awesome movie. Those Wachowskis have a great imagination and a mind for philosophical subtext. But the movie was a mess, the dialogue bland, the acting sub-par and at some points downright strange. And the story was nonsensical, with the same rehashed theme from the Matrix. I would say that it's worth watching for the visual spectacle, since it is a marvel to look at. But honestly, I don't think the visuals offer enough redemption.

To give you an idea of how bad it was, the movie theater we were in was decently crowded. Everyone was very polite and quiet, up until about halfway through when we all started to slowly realize that it wasn't going to get better. By the end, there were moments that were supposed to be inspiring, emotional, or sad, but each moment landed so poorly and gracelessly that everyone was laughing.

So you didn't get it then.

(02-25-2015, 06:29 PM)Ashim Wrote:
(02-25-2015, 06:18 PM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: I saw Jupiter Ascending over the weekend - it was a huge disappointment.

Maybe I got it too well  RollEyes

(02-25-2015, 06:35 PM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote:

Sorry if you went to see it on my recommendation.
Mila does look stunning though?

(02-25-2015, 06:44 PM)Ashim Wrote:
(02-25-2015, 06:35 PM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote:

Sorry if you went to see it on my recomendation.
Mila does look stunning though?

No need to apologize - I was pretty excited for it for a long time which probably influences my disappointment.

Mila was stunning and worked well with the dialogue they gave her. The outfits she wore were very imaginative and creative. Sean Bean was also pretty good - I wish he had played the main supporting role instead of Channing. I didn't like Channing, his acting nor the character they created for him, and his space skates would have been pretty neat had they not made them the centerpiece of almost every action scene.

There are a few more positive things I could pick out from the movie, but there was so much that I felt was poorly executed that they overshadowed the whole thing. I think the story could have worked if it had a much better treatment, perhaps in a different medium (I could see a cool Game of Thrones style TV show based loosely on the story).

I'm almost scared of the new Star Wars in case it's a flop.
I really liked how J.J rebooted the Star Trek franchise - I pray for his good taste and wisdom!

There is maybe a lot of detail still to be discovered in Jupiter, I'll buy the DVD in any case.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - isis - 03-10-2015

boyhood (2014)
& then
awakenings (1990)

really enjoyed awakenings...that's my new favorite robin williams movie.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - AnthroHeart - 03-10-2015

Book of Life. It was alright.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Jade - 03-13-2015

I watched Castaway for the first time. It was pretty good, though when you go long enough without seeing a popular movie, when you finally do watch it, you've basically already seen it. The scene in the beginning when the plane goes down was way too intense for me, it made me nauseated!

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Bluebell - 03-14-2015

Wilsooooooooooooooooooooooon! Castaway is great.

did anyone see/enjoy Stay?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371257/

i am confused by it... & i don't mean the plot. i stopped watching in the middle because every character annoyed me.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - APeacefulWarrior - 03-16-2015

I missed it when it came out, but I just heard of the existence of "Europa Report" and watched it. Not bad, actually, even though I don't usually care for 'found footage' movies. I like how it went back to the model of scientists as brave pioneers/explorers - it sort of reminded me of tales of Antarctic expeditions in the 19th Century and things like that, when people really were facing total unknowns.