Bring4th
what movie did you last watch? - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Community (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Art, Media, & Entertainment (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: what movie did you last watch? (/showthread.php?tid=9894)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Nicholas - 03-13-2016

Just watched The Martian. And where Matt Damon goes, I go, so I am glad to have caught up and watched this one. Matt is my favourite actor so there was immediate bias from the start. It's more his film choices than his acting really. I regard his acting as mediocre, but every film he is in really educates or inspires me. This film could not fail because I totally LOVE disco music (predominant soundtrack throughout the film) and it was his only life line while being stranded on Mars, despite his loathing of it.

It was nice to hear Hues Corporations "Rock The Boat" because that is the 1974 disco hit chosen for our first dance at my wedding. Oh, and then David Bowie's "Starman" is played in the film. It might be an obvious choice in light of the theme, but anyone who listens closely to the beginning of that track might just wonder if David Bowie had actually had a UFO encounter himself, via a radio transmission?

The crux of the film was a big fist pumping YES to life and displayed how any external life challenge can be approached with certainty. The outcome is unknown but the attempt to effect it spoke of total faith. I also love happy endings  BigSmile

It certainly rocked my boat and will definitely be watching it again!

RE: what movie did you last watch? - isis - 03-14-2016

Nicholas, I loved The Martian too!

Icaro, thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely be checking out Persona before too long & am really looking forward to it.

I'm currently (slowly but surely) making my way thru all of the xfiles episodes. So I haven't been watching many movies lately. I do squeeze one in every now & then, though. Recent watches:

The Brothers Bloom (2008)
The Maze Runner (2014)
The Conspirator (2010)
Ant-Man (2015)
Dope (2015)
Ghost (1990)
Raising Arizona (1987)
Say Anything (1989)
Fast Times at Ridgmont High (1982)
Galaxy Quest (1999)
Turner and Hooch (1989)
The End of the Tour (2015)
The Life and Death of Peter Sellers (2004)

The 1st 3 I liked the most & the last 3 bored me to death.

(01-09-2016, 04:35 PM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: The Revenant (2015)

truly an atmospheric and totally immersing film.  Leo should get his Oscar for this one.  Plot - not so great - but everything else - JUST *WOW*.

I'm on a long waiting list to get the book from the library. I wanna read it before watching.

[Image: tumblr_n1qv61U7ZU1qcnhxqo1_500.gif]

Here's the good part of his oscar acceptance speech, for those that missed it:

"...And lastly, I just want to say this: Making The Revenant was about man's relationship to the natural world. A world that we collectively felt in 2015 as the hottest year in recorded history. Our production needed to move to the southern tip of this planet just to be able to find snow. Climate change is real, it is happening right now. It is the most urgent threat facing our entire species, and we need to work collectively together and stop procrastinating. We need to support leaders around the world who do not speak for the big polluters, but who speak for all of humanity, for the indigenous people of the world, for the billions and billions of underprivileged people out there who would be most affected by this. For our children’s children, and for those people out there whose voices have been drowned out by the politics of greed. I thank you all for this amazing award tonight. Let us not take this planet for granted. I do not take tonight for granted. Thank you so very much."

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 03-16-2016

Gangs of New York.

Didn't know they made films like this Tongue

A look back at the rough and tumble of cities as they were maybe 150 years ago.  Makes you appreciate where things are now Smile

That just about does it for my Scorsese retrospective.  What a treasure this man is; the vision and scope.  :thumbs up:

/ /

(03-14-2016, 01:30 AM)isis Wrote: The Brothers Bloom (2008)

The Conspirator (2010)

Fast Times at Ridgmont High (1982)
Galaxy Quest (1999)

might check these out sometime Smile

RE: what movie did you last watch? - zvonimir - 04-05-2016

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3355014/

The Zohar secret 2016

RE: what movie did you last watch? - isis - 04-09-2016

Bridge of Spies (2015)
based on true events. so good. left me in tears at the end.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - isis - 04-17-2016

Concussion (2015)
true story
(watch this movie if you want to never be able to watch football again.)

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 05-25-2016

Zootopia (2016)

Had a blast with this one.  Not usually a fan of Disney movies (Tomorrowland was just a train wreck), but this looked great, and was tightly scripted.  Everything was just spot on for a kid's film,  but which also works for adults (not that I would know, being just a 'big kid' myself).  The main character is just really likeable, in her earnestness and pure 'faith'.

I think the best part, like I said, is the tight script and editing.  Nothing goes to waste, everything moves the story along.

Best film I've seen in a while!

RE: what movie did you last watch? - AnthroHeart - 05-25-2016

(05-25-2016, 10:27 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: Zootopia (2016)

Had a blast with this one.  Not usually a fan of Disney movies (Tomorrowland was just a train wreck), but this looked great, and was tightly scripted.  Everything was just spot on for a kid's film,  but which also works for adults (not that I would know, being just a 'big kid' myself).  The main character is just really likeable, in her earnestness and pure 'faith'.

I think the best part, like I said, is the tight script and editing.  Nothing goes to waste, everything moves the story along.

Best film I've seen in a while!

I haven't seen Zootopia yet, but Nick Wilde is so far my favorite. I preordered the 3D blu-ray.

Did you watch it in 3D plenum? How are the 3D effects?

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 05-25-2016

no 3d.  But just 2d alone, the visuals are amazing.

oh yeah, and that fox is a great companion to Judy Hopps.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - YinYang - 05-25-2016

[Image: large_z9CA8N5JQU9V5mAEf5SPgvogL8m.jpg]

It's not a typical love affair, but love and tenderness, both are there. Named after a daisy, she lived amongst words, surrounded by adjectives in green fields of verbs. Some force you yield to. But she, with soft art, passed through my hard shield and into my heart. Not always are love stories just made of love. Sometimes love is not named but it's love just the same. This is not a typical love affair, I met her on a bench in my local square. She made a little stir, tiny like a bird with her gentle feathers. She was surrounded by words, some as common as myself. She gave me books, two or three. Their pages have come alive for me. Don't die now, you've still got time, just wait. It's not the hour, my little flower. Give me some more of you. More of the life in you. Wait. Not always are stories just made of love. Sometimes love is not named. But it's love just the same.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Sabou - 05-25-2016

[Image: 07X1N9N.jpg]

Ip man 3

I'm a huge fan of the Ip man series and this one does not disappoint.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 06-09-2016

Mars Attacks!

90's classic.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - AnthroHeart - 06-09-2016

(05-25-2016, 01:24 PM)Sabou Wrote: [Image: 07X1N9N.jpg]

Ip man 3

I'm a huge fan of the Ip man series and this one does not disappoint.

I liked the first 3, but I didn't care for the final one because it starred someone different.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 06-10-2016

I think the theme music is the best part of Ip Man BigSmile

RE: what movie did you last watch? - native - 08-29-2016

Midnight Special was good. It's about a boy who has special powers, and the government is after him. The special effects are minimal. All of Jeff Nichols movies are worth watching.

To get the most out of the symbolism of the movie, Midnight Special is a black folk song (everyone knows Creedence Clearwater Revival's version).."John and Alan Lomax, in their book, Best Loved American Folk Songs, told a credible story identifying the Midnight Special as a train from Houston shining its light into a cell in the Sugar Land Prison. They also describe Ledbetter's version as "the Negro jailbird's ballad to match Hard Times Poor Boy. Like so many American folk songs, its hero is not a man but a train." The light of the train is seen as the light of salvation, the train which could take them away from the prison walls."

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 09-22-2016

Book of Eli (2010)

An interesting fable about Faith.

But I could pretty much watch anything that Denzel Washington is in.  The film has many flaws; but I think I could grasp the essence of the message.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - isis - 09-23-2016

(03-07-2016, 02:47 PM)Icaro Wrote: I recently watched Persona, by Ingmar Bergman..a Swedish film. It's probably the best movie I've seen, and it's considered a masterpiece in cinema. It's about a nurse taking care of a patient in a summer home who has taken a vow of silence. The identities between the two begin to blur. It's an entirely spiritual/psychological movie. The trailer for it is terrible, so don't let that be discouraging.

was a bit too weird for my taste...like, for instance, that penis in the beginning haha.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(09-22-2016, 11:28 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: Book of Eli (2010)

An interesting fable about Faith.

But I could pretty much watch anything that Denzel Washington is in.  The film has many flaws; but I think I could grasp the essence of the message.

i just watched that not too long ago. i liked it too.

here's my other recent watches. roughly in order of preference.

The Jungle Book (2016)
Blood Diamond (2006)
Zootopia (2016)
Ratatouille (2007)
Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
Spectre (2015)
Spotlight (2015)
Brave (2012)
The Walk (2015)
Bone Tomahawk (2015)
Deadpool (2016)
Room (2015)
Tombstone (1993)
In the Heart of the Sea (2015)
The Danish Girl (2015)
Whiplash (2014)
Big Eyes (2014)
The Revenant (2015)
Allegiant (2016)
Lord of War (2005)
The Big Short (2015)
Licence to Kill (1989)
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
Rango (2011)
The Purge (2013)
Sufragette (2015)
Krampus (2015)
The Lady in the Van (2015)
Black Mass (2015)
American Sniper (2014)
The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
The Hateful Eight (2015)
The Invasion (2007)
Boulevard (2014)
Bird on a Wire (1990)
Mr. Turner (2014)

RE: what movie did you last watch? - sjel - 09-25-2016

THE TRUMAN SHOW

[Image: Trumanshow.jpg]

I think it is my favorite movie of all time now. I usually can't get into acted movies because I feel like the actors are "trying" too hard most of the time... I can't immerse myself in pretending it's real because it's so obviously a movie set. But in this case, that's what it's supposed to be about!

It's like, all the actors in the movie are already used to pretending, so it was a seamless transition to play someone who is pretending. I really feel like each role in this was perfectly designed for the actor/actress who played it. Jim Carrey is obviously brilliant in this role.

AND upon rewatching last night, it reeeally impacted me how many things seem to reference fourth density transition. I think Cristoph represents the veil for this Logos. He does everything he can to keep Truman asleep, to push him back into his comfortable neutrality. But Truman tasted what is beyond the veil.

So impactful. I felt surges in my heart/brain when I watched it last night.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Dekalb_Blues - 10-24-2016

~~

[Image: icon-heart.png]

METROPIA (2009) http://www.atmo.se/metropia

Metropia takes place in a not-so-distant future. The world is running out of oil and the undergrounds
have been connected into a gigantic subway network beneath Europe.

Whenever Roger from Stockholm enters this system he hears a stranger’s voice in his head. He looks to
the mysterious Nina to help him escape the disturbing web of the Metro, but the farther they travel, the
deeper he’s involved in a dark conspiracy.

Metropia is directed by Tarik Saleh, an award winning director, producer, animator and graphic designer.
Art director Martin Hultman stands behind the unique look of Metropia. The story is based on an idea by 
Fredrik Edin, Martin Hultman and Tarik Saleh.

The development of Metropia started 2003. Before then Atmo produced and created a number of short
animated films for Swedish Television. The hyper realistic style (described as if ”Kafka would have painted
the last supper with a machine gun”) was developed by Martin Hultman and Tarik Saleh and layed the
ground to the imagery in Metropia.

VIDEOCRACY (2009) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjxq2gIctWo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videocracy_(film)

Videocracy | Eric Gandini | Sweden, Denmark, Finland | 2009 | 84'

SYNOPSIS

Videocracy -- the evilness of banality

"Videocracy is the power of image over the society"
-- Wikipedia.org

A late evening in 1976 a local TV-station in Italy broadcasts a quiz show where the viewers are asked to call in and
answer questions. For each correct given answer, a housewife strips off one garment at a time while performing a little dance.

The format is very simple and the show is shot in an ordinary bar. The following day there are complaints from the local factory
as a great part of the male workers did not show up in time for work.

Nobody back then could have imagined that the show in black and white was the beginning of a TV-revolution that would forever
alter the entire political system, change values and become the powerful instrument of governing a nation.

In a videocracy the key to power is the possession of the image. The people who learn how to use the tools and understand the
codes become the leaders and take control.

In Italy one man only has kept the control and domination of the image over three entire decades, first as a businessman and
TV-magnate, then bringing his television culture paradigm into the politics. Silvio Berlusconi has created a television which is
mirroring his very personal taste and preferences.

Today 80 percent of the Italian population has television as their prime source of information.

Television has most consciously been turned into a marketing channel, bringing the message to the masses; "have fun and forget
the harsh reality for a moment". The most important thing is to be noticed and seen; stardom, money and people's admiration
then come automatically.

The director Erik Gandini was born and brought up in Italy, under the worst thinkable TV conditions and has taken part of a 30 year
long experiment of entertainment television. He now lives in Sweden and in Videocracy he returns to his country of birth observing
the consequences of the non-stop flow of colourful images, music and almost nude dancing girls encouraging the audience "to just
have fun". The message that has shaped and "transformed" his generation into citizens of the TV-republic Italy, a country where the
step from showgirl to minister of equal opportunities is only natural. What happens when fun is no longer fun in a society governed
by appearance and superficiality, where the meaning of the written and spoken word has forever lost its importance, defeated by
the power of image?

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Jade - 10-25-2016

We watched "13th", a new Netflix documentary about the 13th amendment to the constitution, the one that "abolished slavery"... except under one condition:

Quote:Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

The movie is about how America has moved to a system of mass incarceration after the civil rights movement to help supply cheap, forced corporate labor.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - native - 10-25-2016

(09-23-2016, 01:18 AM)isis Wrote: was a bit too weird for my taste...like, for instance, that penis in the beginning haha.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Crazy. Figured it'd be right up anyone's alley on here.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - BlatzAdict - 10-26-2016

Saw the new Edward Snowden biographical movie.

not bad. was definitely better time spent than the seconds i spent on jack reacher. Sometimes if a movie sucks I just parse through it and I don't even watch it. I figure it's not really a good use of my time. Spent exactly 5 minutes with jack reacher, and instead 1 hour with the snowden movie. Was it worth it? Yes it was.

The last thing I binged watched was the new Deep Space show on gaia.com I'd say that one is really good. Maybe I'm just bias however.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - OpalE - 10-26-2016

"Let Me In."  Loved it.

Inspired a read of the novel that inspired the movie:  Let the Right One In

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 10-27-2016

Saint Young Men (2013)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2431934/

anime movie.  Jesus and Buddha spend a year in Japan as normal folks.

[Image: Inngufx.jpg]

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Minyatur - 11-23-2016

Went to see the movie Arrival, expected it to be good but not that good.

Definitely a must see and seems to be the work of a wanderer.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - isis - 11-27-2016

Captain Fantastic (2016)
loved it.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Erotes - 11-27-2016

Cloud Atlas.

One that I've watched for consecutive days at a time.

Love the bold use of characters over the course of various centuries, and interconnected experiences, conveyed through multiple timeless with diverse perspectives. Begged the question (to those who never bothered asking) "what is Life?" Very thought-provoking film, which prompts the viewer to engage the intellect and join-in on the conceptual process. Talk about a mindful viewing experience.

The Wachowskis are always quite deliberate— if not heavy-handed—with their encrypted commentaries, regarding the nature of reality.

(10-04-2014, 03:41 AM)1109 Wrote: Cloud Atlas - I was impressed, fascinated, I could not look away. My girlfriend fell asleep though..

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Erotes - 11-27-2016

I, for one, am quite sold.  Angel

(10-25-2016, 04:03 PM)Icaro Wrote:
(09-23-2016, 01:18 AM)isis Wrote: was a bit too weird for my taste...like, for instance, that penis in the beginning haha.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Crazy. Figured it'd be right up anyone's alley on here.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Ashim - 11-28-2016

(11-23-2016, 08:58 AM)Minyatur Wrote: Went to see the movie Arrival, expected it to be good but not that good.

Definitely a must see and seems to be the work of a wanderer.

Yes, saw it with my daughter Hannah yesterday. Intelligent, well performed and thought provoking.
A gem. 

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 11-28-2016

now I want to go see it Smile