Bring4th
Studying the Tarot - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Studies (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Strictly Law of One Material (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Archetypes of Mind, Body, & Spirit (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Thread: Studying the Tarot (/showthread.php?tid=18451)

Studying the Tarot - Nau7ik - 07-29-2020

Hello! Ive been away for some time but I have been very busy with my spiritual study and practice. I decided to take a more serious step in my study of the Tarot keys because I feel that these cards are a key to unlocking our true potential and power. The more I study the Tarot the more it reveals itself to me in what it can do.

The Tarot Keys were designed with the intent to invoke states of consciousness. Principally, the modern Tarot cards. These go as far back as the 1200s. There is no evidence or proof or anything beyond this time. I’m not saying these cards weren’t known to initiates back then but that is when the Tarot deck made its appearance.

Adepts were supposed to have designed the Keys. Either way, the Keys invoke states of consciousness especially when one is meditating on that Key or observing it for long periods of time.

For example, the Magician. The Magician, by the design of the image, shows us a man in concentration. The expression on his face indicates confidence and assurance; he knows what he is doing. The position of his arms show us another thing: that he draws his power from above and acts as a channel to transmit that force. “As Above, So Below” is what his body language tells us.

[Image: 1-bota_tarot_the-magician.jpg]

The roses indicate desire and the lillies indicate Truth. The elemental weapons upon the table are symbolic of elements of the personality (and one can work this out himself knowing the elements to be: Fire, Water, Air, and Earth) while the table symbolizes the magicians field of attention.

Now what does this Key practically show us? It shows us that a one-pointed concentration is necessary to act as a purified channel for cosmic forces. Furthermore, the Magician teaches us the art of concentration. Simply observe the Key to learn how to concentrate. If you need to focus, call up the image of Magician, limit your field of attention, and with calm assurance know that your going to be focused on what is before you.

Traditionally, Mercury is the ruler of Key 1 and this completely fits with the symbolism. Mercury is the self-conscious mind : the man is the masculine portion of mind. By acts of self-conscious attention does the Magician make fertile the garden of roses and lillies. The garden is the subconscious mind and this symbolism is further explained in later Tarot cards.

Anyway I just wanted to share some of what I have been learning. I try to remember Ra’s words of learn/teachings and teach/learning. I want to teach only when I have an understanding of my own that I can articulate in my own words. Parroting what others have wrote or said is not true teaching/learning.

This is just one example of what the Tarot cards can teach us! Each one of the Tarot Keys will aid us on our journey of self-knowledge.

RE: Studying the Tarot - Spaced - 07-29-2020

Looking at this archetype from the perspective of the Ra material, it is described as the Matrix of the Mind. What is a matrix? Here's how the dictionary defines it: "an environment or material in which something develops; a surrounding medium or structure."

So how would you see the Magician representing the environment in which the mind develops?

RE: Studying the Tarot - AnthroHeart - 07-29-2020

(07-29-2020, 10:07 AM)Spaced Wrote: Looking at this archetype from the perspective of the Ra material, it is described as the Matrix of the Mind. What is a matrix? Here's how the dictionary defines it: "an environment or material in which something develops; a surrounding medium or structure."

So how would you see the Magician representing the environment in which the mind develops?

If I recall, didn't Ra say the Matrix of the Mind is in darkness? And wouldn't a Magician have light/wisdom?

RE: Studying the Tarot - Spaced - 07-29-2020

(07-29-2020, 10:27 AM)Great Central Sun Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 10:07 AM)Spaced Wrote: Looking at this archetype from the perspective of the Ra material, it is described as the Matrix of the Mind. What is a matrix? Here's how the dictionary defines it: "an environment or material in which something develops; a surrounding medium or structure."

If I recall, didn't Ra say the Matrix of the Mind is in darkness? And wouldn't a Magician have light/wisdom?

You might be thinking of Ra's description of the Matrix of the Spirit, AKA The Devil:

Quote:78.11
"The Matrix of the Spirit is what you may call the Night of the Soul or Primeval Darkness. [...]"

Quote:80.10 Questioner: Now, the fifteenth archetype, which is the Matrix of the Spirit, has been called the Devil. Can you tell me why that is so?

Ra: I am Ra. We do not wish to be facile in such a central query, but we may note that the nature of the spirit is so infinitely subtle that the fructifying influence of light upon the great darkness of the spirit is very often not as apparent as the darkness itself. The progress chosen by many adepts becomes a confused path as each adept attempts to use the Catalyst of the Spirit. Few there are which are successful in grasping the light of the sun. By far, the majority of adepts remain groping in the moonlight and, as we have said, this light can deceive as well as uncover hidden mystery. Therefore, the melody, shall we say, of this matrix often seems to be of a negative and evil, as you would call it, nature.

RE: Studying the Tarot - Nau7ik - 07-30-2020

Excellent question! The Hebrew letter assigned to this card is Beth ב. Beth signifies a house. He is the “house” of personality. The everyday waking consciousness. The objective mind.

Quote:”The true magic presided over house-building because it shows us how to erect actual houses so as to take advantage of occult properties of the earth-currents of magnetic vibration. The higher phases of magic, moreover, have to do with the building of the the “house” of personality, with the rearing of the Temple of Spirit, the “house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.”

—Paul Foster Case

The arbor of roses above his head also indicates a type of shelter.

RE: Studying the Tarot - flofrog - 07-30-2020

Nau or Spaced , just a small question...

I suppose the primeval darkness that Ra talks about is neither negative nor positive, just primeval where creation forms or where light can appear, right ?

RE: Studying the Tarot - Diana - 07-30-2020

Since the archetypes, according to Ra, were intended as a blueprint to the underlying structure of this particular reality designed by this particular Logos, it is helpful to reference the implications of each presented by Ra regarding each archetype; aside from your own individual observations, feelings, and interpretations, also recommended by Ra as they are meant to "haunt rather than explicate" (99.8).

Insights can be gained by the Matrix of the Mind's relationship to the Potentiator of the Mind.

Quote:74.4 

Ra: I am Ra. ...
The archetypical mind may be defined as that mind which is peculiar to the Logos of this planetary sphere. Thusly unlike the great cosmic all-mind, it contains the material which it pleased the Logos to offer as refinements to the great cosmic beingness. The archetypical mind, then, is that which contains all facets which may affect mind or experience.

The Magician was named as a significant archetype. However, it was not recognized that this portion of the archetypical mind represents not a portion of the deep subconscious but the conscious mind and more especially the will. The archetype called by some the High Priestess, then, is the corresponding intuitive or subconscious faculty.

Let us observe the entity as it is in relationship to the archetypical mind. You may consider the possibilities of utilizing the correspondences between the mind/body/spirit in microcosm and the archetypical mind/body/spirit closely approaching the Creator. For instance, in your ritual performed to purify this place you use the term “Ve Geburah.” It is a correct assumption that this is a portion or aspect of the One Infinite Creator. However, there are various correspondences with the archetypical mind which may be more and more refined by the adept. “Ve Geburah” is the correspondence of Michael, of Mars, of the positive, of maleness. “Ve Gedulah” has correspondences to Jupiter, to femaleness, to the negative, to that portion of the Tree of Life concerned with Auriel.

We could go forward with more and more refinements of these two entries into the archetypical mind. We could discuss color correspondences, relationships with other archetypes, and so forth. This is the work of the adept, not the teach/learner. We may only suggest that there are systems of study which may address themselves to the aspects of the archetypical mind and it is well to choose one and study carefully. It is more nearly well if the adept go beyond whatever has been written and make such correspondences that the archetype can be called upon at will.

RE: Studying the Tarot - Jade - 07-30-2020

(07-30-2020, 11:07 AM)flofrog Wrote: Nau or Spaced , just a small question...

I suppose the primeval darkness that Ra talks about is neither negative nor positive, just primeval where creation forms or where light can appear, right ?

In general this is correct, as it is the nature within which the spirit chooses to do work in our veiled Logos/density. From third density perspective, darkness is evil, and that is okay. From a higher perspective, we have the awareness that evil performs a service, evil needs compassion too, and evil will eventually denounce itself. It is the state of illusory, temporary separation from the healer that will eventually be healed. When we label something as evil, it implies rejection. We should definitely seek to accept all once we are in the green ray, but in the yellow ray I think one must learn to discern those actions which are of a separation nature and how to avoid them.

RE: Studying the Tarot - Sacred Fool - 07-31-2020

(07-30-2020, 11:07 AM)flofrog Wrote: I suppose the primeval darkness that Ra talks about is neither negative nor positive, just primeval where creation forms or where light can appear, right ?

I normally avoid these types of discussions....but.......

The answer to your query, flofrog, is "yes."

The term "matrix" is directly related to the Latin word mater (meaning "mother," also related to "matter," as in "stuff") and, in the sense of definition cited above: womb.

From 78.11 Wrote:Ra: I am Ra. In the mind complex the matrix may be described as consciousness. It has been called the Magician. It is to be noted that of itself consciousness is unmoved. The potentiator of consciousness is the unconscious. This encompasses a vast realm of potential in the mind.

The primeval darkness (having nothing whatsoever to do with any notion of "evil") is consciousness itself, but in a state of unconsciousness (you know, like Sleeping Beauty).  This is the womb of Creation: undifferentiated consciousness. 

Later on, Prince Charming shows up and differentiation is born, which of course, brings with it loads of ensuing complications...such as discussions like this one.

And we all lived happily ever after!!!!

RE: Studying the Tarot - Nau7ik - 08-04-2020

(07-30-2020, 11:07 AM)flofrog Wrote: Nau or Spaced , just a small question...

Yes! However we need to move backwards to the Fool because he is before manifestation. The Fool represents the limitless unconditioned Life-Power, always at the height of its power (the Eternal Youth portrayed and the mid morning sun). He is infinite possibility and potential. If you look closely, the Fool can take another step. This is symbol of the fact that there is always another step that can be taken. The card is full of light.
When we go to the Devil, Key 15, it shows us the natural state of the Spirit complex in third density. By nature it is seen to be darkness, as it has not been potentiated yet. The Matrices are, as things in and of themselves. So it represents the natural state of human consciousness. (In Hebrew there is a connection between Spirit and Mind: the Ruach.)

[Image: 0-bota_tarot_the-fool.jpg] [Image: cc_15_devil.tiff]

Just by looking at these two images side by side, we can learn a lot! The Fool is filled with Light and the Devil with darkness.
The Fool is our True Self. The Devil is also ourselves within human life steeped in the darkness of ignorance. One’s concern is with materiality and his baser animal nature, his spirit has not yet been potentiated. The Fool is free and joyful, while the man and woman are chained and held in thrall to the demon. (One can also compare the Devil to the Lovers and the Hierophant). The inverted pentagram indicates that for the Devil, materiality is superior to the things of the spirit.

Just to be clear, I have studied with Ra’s method and it was helpful. However, I now study with the Builders of the Adytum and their instruction is much more suited for me.
One of the problems I found with the Egyptian images is that the culture is an ancient dead culture that is not our own. There are cultural symbols that make penetrating the true meaning of the cards a bit more challenging.

We can compare these findings and observations with the Ra Material, i always do. And it still fits. Whether you’re using a more modern western deck or the Egyptian images, you will essentially find the same meanings in the cards. I’ve used many decks, some are good, some are not, choose what works for you. I personally find the BOTA deck (modified version of Rider-Waite) to be the best.

Having the form aspect of the Tarot sharply defined in your consciousness will be of great help in studying the Ageless Wisdom of the Tarot. This is easy to accomplish if one spends just a few minutes a day for a few days with each card, attentively observing the imagery and the details. You will find that you can summon the image before your minds eye with ease in all of its details. It’s really amazing actually. Don’t spent too much time on one card because you will be evoking states of consciousness within yourself.
This focused attentive observation of the card will put one in touch with all those who have meditated upon the cards before you. You will find interesting ideas popping into your mind. If you don’t understand something, that is perfectly acceptable! Make a mental note of it and the answer will eventually come from within you.

RE: Studying the Tarot - flofrog - 08-04-2020

Thank you so much Nau...

I find very difficult to efficiently study the cards... I am taken by the visual beauty of them, I have that really wonderful deck with these awesome fading colors and I just look at them with delight , no study at all.... Blush Wink

RE: Studying the Tarot - AnthroHeart - 08-04-2020

I have a question about love. Which archetype or card represents love as in lovey-dovey cuddly love?
The kind that moves you to tears?
Is it the Lovers card?

I'm in love with my higher-dimensional lover, and I wonder sometimes if it's just I'm addicted to the feeling of love, or if I really do love them.

RE: Studying the Tarot - dreamoftheiris - 08-04-2020

Regarding the Magician card:

We are veiled in this reality and cannot know anything. Thus, for us, experiences seem to happen to us and appear random. Our seeking begins by looking outside of ourselves. As we grow, we begin to have expanded access to our unconsciousness, thus we begin to see more and more how our experiences are the result of what we draw to ourselves by our inner-thinking and desires.

The matrix of the mind is the magician because we are magicians. We are magical beings, who manifest experiences all the time. This is a mostly unconscious process and the adept who studies the Magician archetype seeks to make this process more conscious. The adept seeks to bridge the gap between the unconscious potentiator and the conscious matrix. The matrix of the mind seeks to articulate the ideations from the unconscious mind.

RE: Studying the Tarot - Nau7ik - 08-05-2020

(08-04-2020, 02:12 PM)Great Central Sun Wrote: I have a question about love. Which archetype or card represents love as in lovey-dovey cuddly love?
Is it the Lovers card?

I'm in love with my higher-dimensional lover, and I wonder sometimes if it's just I'm addicted to the feeling of love, or if I really do love them.

I guess one could say the Lovers card in it’s superficial interpretations. However it’s true meaning is indicating a harmonious, honest relationship between the conscious and subconscious portions of mind. The Lovers veil nothing from each other. They are both equals (ignorant interpretations of the myth have placed women as inferior to men, and this is wrong on so many levels). Each allows the other the freedom to operate in its appropriate sphere of activity. Discrimination is a central idea of Key 6.
This harmony of Adam and Eve, then, allow one to become the recipient of Superconscious guidance, pictured in Key 6 by the Angel above the lovers. The Angel is our True Self. The guidance is received through the agency of subconsciousness which is then related back to self consciousness, the man. The man looks toward the woman, and the woman looks towards the Angel, and the angel sheds its influence impartially upon both of them.

So one could take the lessons from this card and apply it to loving relationships with others. How to be a good lovers, Key 6 can teach us.

Going back to the Ra Material, the Lovers is the Transformation of Mind. A transformation indeed occurs when this balance and harmony is achieved because then one is being guided by his Higher Self. The Keys follow a sequence and the result of this transformation is the Chariot, the Great Way of Mind.

RE: Studying the Tarot - AnthroHeart - 08-05-2020

(08-05-2020, 09:29 AM)Nau7ik Wrote:
(08-04-2020, 02:12 PM)Great Central Sun Wrote: I have a question about love. Which archetype or card represents love as in lovey-dovey cuddly love?
Is it the Lovers card?

I guess one could say the Lovers card in it’s superficial interpretations. However it’s true meaning is indicating a harmonious, honest relationship between the conscious and subconscious portions of mind. The Lovers veil nothing from each other. They are both equals (ignorant interpretations of the myth have placed women as inferior to men, and this is wrong on so many levels). Each allows the other the freedom to operate in its appropriate sphere of activity. Discrimination is a central idea of Key 6.
This harmony of Adam and Eve, then, allow one to become the recipient of Superconscious guidance, pictured in Key 6 by the Angel above the lovers. The Angel is our True Self. The guidance is received through the agency of subconsciousness which is then related back to self consciousness, the man. The man looks toward the woman, and the woman looks towards the Angel, and the angel sheds its influence impartially upon both of them.

So one could take the lessons from this card and apply it to loving relationships with others. How to be a good lovers, Key 6 can teach us.

Going back to the Ra Material, the Lovers is the Transformation of Mind. A transformation indeed occurs when this balance and harmony is achieved because then one is being guided by his Higher Self. The Keys follow a sequence and the result of this transformation is the Chariot, the Great Way of Mind.

That's fascinating because transformation has really been on my mind lately. I wonder what's transformation of the body.

RE: Studying the Tarot - Spaced - 08-05-2020

The Transformation of the Body is Death. Death gets rid of the old and makes room for new growth.

RE: Studying the Tarot - tadeus - 08-28-2020

(08-04-2020, 09:40 AM)Nau7ik Wrote: [Image: 0-bota_tarot_the-fool.jpg] [Image: cc_15_devil.tiff]

At this time i try to study the archetypes through the cards and system of Tarot too.
It's a pity that not all cards where examined in the sessions with Ra.
So i have a look at different Tarot decks and it's interpretations.
(Mainly Rider Waite, Wirth (Marseille) and the Ra deck)

What kind of deck do you show here?

Additional there is the book "Die Einweihung im alten Ägypten" from Woldemar von Uxkull.
(I don't know if it exists in english)
Here are the pictures (and story of initiation) as they should be in the temple of memphis in egypt.

Is someone working on the classifications / categories of the cards as described by Ra?

RE: Studying the Tarot - tadeus - 08-28-2020

Here is an overview over the pictures an the arrangement in the temple of memphis.

The study in the initiation is to see the pictures as an story of growth.
The pictures in the upper und lower row should show corresponding archetypes with something like invertated meaning.

RE: Studying the Tarot - Nau7ik - 08-28-2020

(08-28-2020, 05:38 AM)tadeus Wrote: Here is an overview over the pictures an the arrangement in the temple of memphis.

The study in the initiation is to see the pictures as an story of growth.
The pictures in the upper und lower row should show corresponding archetypes with something like invertated meaning.

Wait, so these are the Egyptian images which were referred to in the Ra Material? They are on the walls of a temple in Memphis? Can you explain the backstory to this?

I had been looking to see if the archetypes were actually painted onto walls of temples but never found anything. But this! If this is true, if these are the images which were on The Temple walls, then indeed the Tarot goes way back. Farther then is supposed in the Mystery Tradition.

The images I have used in this thread are from the Builders of the Adytum Tarot deck. It’s a modified Rider-Waite deck basically. Except certain aspects of symbolism are unveiled and ordered more properly. It’s my favorite deck so far.

I stay away from Crowley’s Thoth deck now because the symbolism is too convoluted to convey a clear meaning. And when it does it tends to a more negative interpretation. It’s based on the negative channeling of a book called “the Book of the Law”. So Crowley took it upon himself to change attributions and the order of some cards and letters. It doesn’t truly fit or make sense. But that’s just my opinion.

Anyway I would love to hear back about the archetypal images being on the Temple of Memphis’s walls!

RE: Studying the Tarot - Aion - 08-28-2020

The deck used by the LOO group was the Brotherhood of Light deck.

https://www.light.org/tarot-cards--brotherhood-of-light-egyptian--full-color--P14C1.cfm

The images in that deck were derived from the "Tarot of St. Germain", which was the pen name of one Edgar de Valcourt-Vermont.

http://green-door.narod.ru/sg-tarot.html

It is said that the images were seen in Memphis, that's the story, but there hasn't been any verification of this. They have not actually been found as far as I know.
I would also be very interested if someone did have a source with information on this.
Manly P. Hall called it the "pseudo-egyptian tarot deck".

I think it's an interesting deck partly because of the mystery surrounding it.

RE: Studying the Tarot - tadeus - 08-29-2020

(08-28-2020, 09:58 AM)Nau7ik Wrote: Wait, so these are the Egyptian images which were referred to in the Ra Material? They are on the walls of a temple in Memphis? Can you explain the backstory to this?

No - this egyptian material is found additional.

Maybe i should explain.
The cards from the Ra-material are not explained complete and have a complete other cultural background.
So somebody else and me have looked around for other material in hope to get a complete view on it.

So we found first a book "Tarot from Elisabeth Haich", that is basing on the Wirth-deck. It is used by the Rosenkreuzer and is the base for the Marseille-deck.
This Wirth-deck is closer to the Ra-Deck as the Rider-Waite-deck and the symbolism of colors is explained in the book.

This other book from Woldemar von Uxkull is showing the old egypt sybolism that is quite close to the Ra-deck.
The book is explaining the old initiation in egypt.

I was curious to learn something about "other" ways of initiation hopefully to get a better understanding to the Ra-archetypes.
I am on the way to do this and can say that it is helpful to have other (complete) views on the symbolism.
But so far i could find out that nobody is using the way to learn the archetypes as described in Ra 88.24 ...

(08-28-2020, 09:58 AM)Nau7ik Wrote: The images I have used in this thread are from the Builders of the Adytum Tarot deck. It’s a modified Rider-Waite deck basically. Except certain aspects of symbolism are unveiled and ordered more properly. It’s my favorite deck so far.

Hmmm - maybe i should have a look on this deck.

I think it would make sense to compare the different symbolism.
But at least this should help to understand the systematic delivered by Ra.

(08-28-2020, 09:58 AM)Nau7ik Wrote: I stay away from Crowley’s Thoth deck now because the symbolism is too convoluted to convey a clear meaning. And when it does it tends to a more negative interpretation. It’s based on the negative channeling of a book called “the Book of the Law”. So Crowley took it upon himself to change attributions and the order of some cards and letters. It doesn’t truly fit or make sense. But that’s just my opinion.

Yes - the magic of Crowley is a very different view on the plan of the one infinite creator.  Confused
So it is not surprising that he is using another symbolism.

RE: Studying the Tarot - tadeus - 08-29-2020

(08-28-2020, 12:43 PM)Aion Wrote: The images in that deck were derived from the "Tarot of St. Germain", which was the pen name of one Edgar de Valcourt-Vermont.

The "Tarot of St. Germain" looks interesting too.
Is there a detailed description of it?

(08-28-2020, 12:43 PM)Aion Wrote: It is said that the images were seen in Memphis, that's the story, but there hasn't been any verification of this. They have not actually been found as far as I know.
I would also be very interested if someone did have a source with information on this.
Manly P. Hall called it the "pseudo-egyptian tarot deck".

Yes - i didn't find anything too.
When you look at pictures of the temple of memphis it seems that all is reconstruction.
So this pictures must have come down from elsewhere.

There are some informations from Rudolf Steiner, but i have not studied it.

RE: Studying the Tarot - Aion - 09-18-2020

I have not found any further detail yet on the St. Germain deck, however I did find this little tidbit just now in the material.

Quote:89.14 Questioner: I have here a deck of twenty-two tarot cards which have been copied, according to information we have, from the walls of, I would suspect, the large pyramid at Giza. If necessary we can duplicate these cards in the book that we are preparing. I would ask Ra if these cards represent an exact replica of that which is in the Great Pyramid?

Ra: I am Ra. The resemblance is substantial.

89.15 Questioner: In other words, you might say that these were better than, say, 95% correct as far as representing what is on the walls of the Great Pyramid?

Ra: I am Ra. Yes.

So, there's that, although doesn't exactly prove it for me personally.

RE: Studying the Tarot - Ymarsakar - 09-22-2020

https://boxnovel.com/novel/lord-of-the-mysteries-webnovel/ I thought this Chinese novel translated into English, did an excellent job of research and presenting the Tarot archetypes.

The Tarots become the basic foundation of that world's power and personal progression, as well as some secret societies.

The Fool, is an interesting archetype. The Motley Fool is a financial stock advisory board.

RE: Studying the Tarot - Vasilisa - 11-11-2020

(08-28-2020, 12:43 PM)Aion Wrote: It is said that the images were seen in Memphis, that's the story, but there hasn't been any verification of this. They have not actually been found as far as I know.

You can try to virtually wander around the Egyptian temples. The very walls of temples, especially the temple of Horus in Edfu, may remotely represent the meaning laid down by the Tarot. And also the doctrine of the Ennead of the gods. I was prompted to think about this by Muat Ashby's book. Very similar to the Kabbalistic concept.