Bring4th
Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Studies (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Science & Technology (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' (/showthread.php?tid=17013)

Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - xise - 03-12-2019

Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma'

Quote:"Internal Monsanto emails show that the company closely followed the evolution of some of the articles and even edited passages.

On Jan. 6, 2016, company official Heydens writes to Intertek about one of the papers: "I think you and I should talk about how that chapter gets completed, as it is not exactly what I was expecting."

Two days later, in another email Intertek sends Monsanto a draft version of another article, asking Heydens to look at changes suggested by certain authors. His response: "OK, I have gone through the entire document and indicated what I think should stay, what can go, and in a couple of spots I did a little editing."

All five papers claimed they were written by independent experts and said that no Monsanto employees or lawyers reviewed the manuscripts prior to publication."

I for one am glad that this is just one bad apple. This couldn't possibly happen in other fields of science. 

After all, we punish the scientists responsible for bad science, such as tobacco science - they all went to jail and no longer work as researchers. Also, unlike people who go into politicians, policing, or priesthood, scientists truly care about the science and are much less likely to sell out for money, power, prestige, or anything else offered. Furthermore, we know that the peer review system cannot be corrupted, and even if there is one bad study, the truth comes out in months or maybe a few years; never does it take decades. On top of that, we have governmental and intergovernmental agencies which are thoroughly checked for conflicts of interests and properly regulate the industry. Furthermore, replicating older recent studies shows us that we're really good at doing the right science, wikipedia not withstanding (Replication Crisis).

This Monsanto thing is just one small blip. But xise, Monsanto's roundup is the most used herbicide in the world, and they have had countless governmental agencies sign off on its safety in the past 3 decades and there are dozens of published peer-reviewed studies showing roundup is safe. If this can be corrupted, how can it be just a small blip?

I am glad you asked that question. And see, the fact that you asked that question - the fact that you, I, the people are willing to question companies and indeed even question scientists and experts on whether there are conflicts of interest, corruption, or influence over these studies shows you why this is just a small blip. You ask people on the street, you hear newsmedia discussing these issues, everyone questions science, and questions whether it is done impartially, and brings a skeptical eye to scientific findings until they've looked at all aspects of the issue. As long as we have a population that isn't complacent, and continues to delve into corruption and/or undo influence in the way science is conducted, these sorts of things will not reoccur.

In short, there is no need for systematic change in the way we conduct or publish science. I am glad that science and the way we conduct science is properly protecting our health, our oceans, our food, our medicine, our land, and our climate.

-----

Don't mind me, I'm just off playing out my distortion on desiring to shine light onto issues that I feel don't get enough attention  Smile  On less tongue-in-cheek note, the article is really good about getting into detail about how interwoven the corruption was. And it came to light in open court litigation. Go lawyers!!!

RE: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - EvolvingPhoenix - 03-12-2019

Wow. That's pretty corrupt that a company official got to edit articles about it. Glad it got brought to light. Thanks for sharing xise.

RE: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - xise - 03-12-2019

(03-12-2019, 08:49 PM)EvolvingPhoenix Wrote: Wow. That's pretty corrupt that a company official got to edit articles about it. Glad it got brought to light. Thanks for sharing xise.

Yeah in our healthcare marketing MBA class, we had a contract research organization executive come in and discuss the difficulty in working with smaller companies who want safety testing done so they can pass FDA approval but they can't pay as much and want the same treatment as larger companies. He talked about how larger companies, companies which can fund more studies through them and can pay more, get top end treatment, such as the company having pre-study meetings over how the study was to be done, having weekly meetings with the head researcher, viewing the data as it comes in weekly, and being able to stop the study mid-way through - prior to completion - so that nothing has to be published and the data doesn't have to become public.

I looked around the classroom and no one else seem phased by what he was talking about or at least didn't show it.

I think these things are much more deeply ingrained in American culture than we realize, and people don't even notice the conflicts anymore.

RE: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - EvolvingPhoenix - 03-12-2019

Wow. Pretty stark. It really bothers me how corrupt everything is in our society, government, schooling, "justice", journalism, everything. And now we have scientific research to add to the list. Depressing.

RE: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - flofrog - 03-13-2019

Yes, EP. and yet inside these different sections there are people working diligently and decently. It’s depressing and yet amazing because it’s not just corruption and darkness

RE: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - xise - 03-13-2019

So clearly, the frustration in my OP reflects a lack of acceptance on the issue. But I am glad I posted it, not just because it's not a well known or acknowledged issue, but lately I have been finding that unless I fully allow the lack of acceptance or whatever else distortion to surface into the conscious mind (without harming others, as Ra suggests), I can't fully balance the underlying distortion/rejection. Probably basically you can't skip over the Catalyst and Experience of the Mind, even if you think you know the ideal undistorted beliefs, you gotta process existing distortions through those two and can't skip to transformation. 

Was a good meditation yesterday. We'll see if I got to the basic underlying cause. I do truly believe Ra's words that there are no mistakes, and always all is well, but just because I believe that at a surface level and also in parts of my deeper mind and self doesn't mean there aren't bastions of holdouts that say "no, I reject this!" Hopefully loyalist forces got another rebel stronghold of distortion last night, time will tell BigSmile

Cheers Smile

RE: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - Louisabell - 03-13-2019

(03-13-2019, 04:05 PM)xise Wrote: So clearly, the frustration in my OP reflects a lack of acceptance on the issue. But I am glad I posted it, not just because it's not a well known or acknowledged issue, but lately I have been finding that unless I fully allow the lack of acceptance or whatever else distortion to surface into the conscious mind (without harming others, as Ra suggests), I can't fully balance the underlying distortion/rejection. Probably basically you can't skip over the Catalyst and Experience of the Mind, even if you think you know the ideal undistorted beliefs, you gotta process existing distortions through those two and can't skip to transformation. 

Was a good meditation yesterday. We'll see if I got to the basic underlying cause. I do truly believe Ra's words that there are no mistakes, and always all is well, but just because I believe that at a surface level and also in parts of my deeper mind and self doesn't mean there aren't bastions of holdouts that say "no, I reject this!" Hopefully loyalist forces got another rebel stronghold of distortion last night, time will tell BigSmile

Cheers Smile

I think it's one thing to simply skim past this material as though it is trivial on a spiritual journey, I think it's one other thing all together to make it a part of your spiritual journey.

It's one thing to chose to love humans because it's the right thing to do. It's another thing entirely to undertake the long process of understanding the orange and yellow ray distortions commonly plaguing humanity at this time. Why?

Because once you truly see the scared, tired, abused and confused inner-children around you, loving them becomes inevitable. It is building the strong foundation upon which the higher chakras may then flourish. This is what I am learning on my walk.

So I am also glad you posted the OP because it is beautiful to see your degree of care and consideration for the plight of others.  Heart

RE: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - redchartreuse - 03-14-2019

Perhaps neither here nor there, though I believe this touches upon something we previously chatted about re: vaccines.

The thing with glyphosate is... it specifically targets a chemical pathway that humans do not possess.  So at the original time of the approval for this chemical, and up until fairly recently, it seemed obvious to scientists that glyphosate could not be affecting human health.

What was missed were the effects upon symbiotic microbes that inhabit the human body, and also in the soil where our crops are grown.

Even still, performance of proper studies is pretty much impossible, since firstly they would need to span generations of humans, and secondly, because there would need to be control groups of people never exposed to the chemical.

We could extrapolate this to all manner of things where "old research" is allowed to stand, even if it flies in the face of new understandings and research methods.

The problem appears to be not so much in the scientists themselves, or even science itself, but in the fact wherein certain chemicals (or technologies) have become the foundation for generating massive amounts of revenue, not to mention all the "job creation" as a result.

We are talking about something like an average of 13 billion dollars a year in revenue over the last 10 years.  And a global company which employs 20-some thousand people.  But beyond even this, consider how many people's IRAs and other retirement portfolios are invested in Monsanto, and the like. And of course, Monsanto offers many other products than glyphosate.

RE: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - flofrog - 03-14-2019

Whenever I look at Monsanto, or sign some sort of petition, or follow progress against it, it creates dark dark anger in me and I need a good shower and a good meditation to wash it off. I love love Gaia. I would follow her like a puppy.

RE: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - krb - 03-15-2019

Redchartreuse wrote:
"We could extrapolate this to all manner of things where "old research" is allowed to stand, even if it flies in the face of new understandings and research methods.
The problem appears to be not so much in the scientists themselves, or even science itself, but in the fact wherein certain chemicals (or technologies) have become the foundation for generating massive amounts of revenue, not to mention all the "job creation" as a result".
----------------------
This is a reminder to me of the "old research" concerning the fluoridation of our water supplies. I'll use flofrog's words... it creates a "dark dark anger". The conclusions of the "research" of the medical benefits of fluoride was bogus to begin with and became the "pass" to provide industry a way to get rid of toxic waste with no "consequences" or expense. Fluoride prematurely ages the human body by wreaking havoc with our biological processes. Fluoridated water has been banned in the more "humane" countries, but not in the US.

Well, this thread is not about fluoride, and I won't "hi-jack" it, but wanted to point out the similarities.

RE: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - flofrog - 03-16-2019

So agree about fluoride krb

RE: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - redchartreuse - 03-17-2019

(03-15-2019, 06:22 PM)krb Wrote: Redchartreuse wrote:
"We could extrapolate this to all manner of things where "old research" is allowed to stand, even if it flies in the face of new understandings and research methods.
The problem appears to be not so much in the scientists themselves, or even science itself, but in the fact wherein certain chemicals (or technologies) have become the foundation for generating massive amounts of revenue, not to mention all the "job creation" as a result".
----------------------
This is a reminder to me of the "old research" concerning the fluoridation of our water supplies. I'll use flofrog's words... it creates a "dark dark anger". The conclusions of the "research" of the medical benefits of fluoride was bogus to begin with and became the "pass" to provide industry a way to get rid of toxic waste with no "consequences" or expense. Fluoride prematurely ages the human body by wreaking havoc with our biological processes. Fluoridated water has been banned in the more "humane" countries, but not in the US.

Well, this thread is not about fluoride, and I won't "hi-jack" it, but wanted to point out the similarities.

Yes, it's not too different.  I think there are a lot of things that can be gathered under the umbrella of explanation I previously offered.

In the case of fluoride, there is good evidence to believe that using it in toothpaste reduces the incidence of caries.  However, the root cause of dental caries is the residual sugars that are allowed to remain in the mouth after eating, along with a preponderance of acid-forming bacteria in the oral microbiome.  It is doubtful that fluoride would show as much of a benefit would people be more inclined to attend to proper nutrition and hygiene.

As for fluoride in the water, AFAIK that research was bunk to begin with, and has never been put to the test.  Again, let us imagine the inertia of global efforts to fluoridate water, the benefits to industry in giving them a way to turn toxic waste into a saleable product, and of course the tendency of humans to persist in wrong-minded ideas long after they have been proven false, in a vain attempt to "save face" or basically not ever have to admit they were mistaken.

RE: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - AnthroHeart - 03-17-2019

Didn't Hitler put fluoride in their water to make the people docile?

RE: Court documents reveal Monsanto's efforts to fight glyphosate's 'severe stigma' - redchartreuse - 03-27-2019

... and here it is right on time! Wink

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-soil-microbes-slow-climate-change/

Emphasis mine

Quote:A NEW PARADIGM?
Johnson’s work is based on a somewhat different paradigm from that of most conventional soil scientists. They often seek to boost agricultural productivity in traditional ways by adding fertilizer and using pesticides and herbicides as needed. This approach is anathema to Johnson. He decries almost every conventional farming practice—plowing, bare fallowing, and the application of herbicides, insecticides and fungicides. All these, he says, “assault soil microbiota.” He claims that glyphosate (sold in commercial products such as Roundup) will kill Aspergillus fungal species in soil. Aspergillus is often regarded as a marker of fungal presence and is important in carbon and nitrogen cycling.