Bring4th
Working from Home (article/statistics) - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Community (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Olio (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Working from Home (article/statistics) (/showthread.php?tid=16419)

Working from Home (article/statistics) - Plenum - 09-18-2018

Quite an encouraging read here.

I didn't realise the numbers had become 'signficant'.

1 in 20 people is not exactly COMMON; but it's also not an outlier at this point either.

G

Quote:The steady rise of Americans working from home continues. According to recently released data from the US Census, 5.2% of workers in the US worked at home in 2017—or 8 million people. That share is up from 5% in 2016, and 3.3% in 2000.

The rise has been aided by improved internet connectivity and the demand for more flexible work environments. A 2017 report by polling company Gallup found that work-from-home options helps companies retain their employees (paywall). Given that the evidence suggests working from home may also improve employee productivity, it’s a perk with few drawbacks.

[Image: pDtjCAjh.png]

Yet not all Americans are participating in the work-from-home wave. Like many other perks, it’s a trend more prevalent for the well-educated. A 2016 Bureau of Labor Statistics survey found that college-educated workers are far more likely to do some work at home than those without college degrees.

As this suggests, the trend towards home work been particularly pronounced among certain types of workers. Managers, finance professionals, designers, and, above all, computer scientists have seen large increases. These high-skill professionals are in a position to negotiate to work wherever they want, and they use this leverage to their advantage. They may be leading the way to an office-less world.
https://qz.com/work/1392302/more-than-5-of-americans-now-work-from-home-new-statistics-show/

also - a few folks at Homecoming were definitely work from home!

My workplace also offers it - but I haven't taken it up (as of yet).

RE: Working from Home (article/statistics) - Spaced - 09-18-2018

We have the option to work from home here but I prefer separating my work and home life so I like coming in to the office.

RE: Working from Home (article/statistics) - AnthroHeart - 09-18-2018

When I worked from home I was practically narcoleptic. I kept nodding off, and it was hard.
At least at work I had distractions to keep me awake.

RE: Working from Home (article/statistics) - Plenum - 09-18-2018

(09-18-2018, 11:26 AM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: When I worked from home I was practically narcoleptic. I kept nodding off, and it was hard.
At least at work I had distractions to keep me awake.

lol.  I know it must have been difficult!

(09-18-2018, 11:11 AM)Spaced Wrote: We have the option to work from home here but I prefer separating my work and home life so I like coming in to the office.

yeah - that tends to be my thinking too!

The people that do it (work from home), usually have a separate room where it's basically their dedicated office.  So they maintain some kind of division, otherwise it can just blend into an endless mixed day.

I don't have a separate room for that.

RE: Working from Home (article/statistics) - ada - 09-19-2018

I admire people who do things that they want, like working from home, I'm too scared to even try.
Working for a boss or a company has benefits like socializing or getting my ass outside. But sometimes I imagine how nice and free I could be if I'd not be dependant on a work place.
Like for instance I had a dream once, and in that dream I didn't think or worry about when I have to go to work. So on the spot I decided I wanted to go abroad, and just like that I did. In a few hours I was on a plane, visiting all kinds of places. It felt, so, awesome! I can't describe it in enough detail, that kind of freedom and relief.

RE: Working from Home (article/statistics) - RitaJC - 09-24-2018

Have been working from home for more than 20 years now.

Would love to answer any questions about it, if you have any.

1. I am not in the US Smile

RE: Working from Home (article/statistics) - ada - 09-24-2018

(09-24-2018, 03:10 AM)RitaJC Wrote: Have been working from home for more than 20 years now.

Would love to answer any questions about it, if you have any.

1. I am not in the US Smile

Can you decide in a day that you want to travel and just take a plane?

And do you find yourself attracted to do other things while you work at home? Like say would you stop working and just decide to watch TV or be on your phone because it's tempting and working is somewhat boring?

Thanks. BigSmile

RE: Working from Home (article/statistics) - unity100 - 09-24-2018

Working from home is indeed on the rise all around the world - it makes more sense in many ways and also more efficient in respect to many considerations.

Its a newly emerging phenomenon. Naturally there are all kinds of different approaches to it.

One important point is to somehow separate work and normal life. Working from home can turn the 'home' more into a 'workplace' over time. With stress and tension from work seeping into home area. Some way to separate the two and ensure a transition in between 'coming to work' (starting work) and 'going home' (stopping work) is necessary.

(09-24-2018, 08:51 AM)blossom Wrote: Can you decide in a day that you want to travel and just take a plane?

Yes. But I don’t like traveling for many reasons.

(09-24-2018, 08:51 AM)blossom Wrote: And do you find yourself attracted to do other things while you work at home? Like say would you stop working and just decide to watch TV or be on your phone because it's tempting and working is somewhat boring?

Yes Smile

(09-24-2018, 01:26 PM)unity100 Wrote: One important point is to somehow separate work and normal life. Working from home can turn the 'home' more into a 'workplace' over time. With stress and tension from work seeping into home area. Some way to separate the two and ensure a transition in between 'coming to work' (starting work) and 'going home' (stopping work) is necessary.

I don’t feel the necessity to separate anything from anything (which is a much older way of living than the rather new separation of ‘work’ from ‘home’, from ‘education’ etc.) To me, everything is just an intuitive flow of being and serving in complete trust in Creator = Love = Unfolding

RE: Working from Home (article/statistics) - Plenum - 12-10-2018

Interesting. I'll be working from home on Christmas Eve and New Year's eve this year.

There are some issues to do with workplace safety (in the office) because otherwise I'd be the only person on that shift (in the office).

A new experience!

RE: Working from Home (article/statistics) - flofrog - 12-10-2018

I don’t know what I like more BigSmile. I have done both I find both great. When I was young working from home didn’t exist really unless you were freelance. I think when you’re young you like being with people, so if I were young today and working only from home, I guess I would try to bring in colleagues for work sessions so there are some exchanges ? Today I have two lives one as a painter and one working on projects with my community but even as a painter I go once a week to a night class to work and be with other painters. We live in an old sixties house where all ‘public rooms’ connect so my desk is the dining room table and I have a corner of the living/ dining which is my studio... it works, lol

RE: Working from Home (article/statistics) - AnthroHeart - 12-10-2018

I was able to work from home every day toward the end of my last job. But I had to quit because of mental issues.
Couldn't do the tech work any longer.

Sometimes I feel like, if I really pushed myself, I could have made it. But then they lay people off.

It was $60k a year working from home. Now I make 1/2 that and can still get by, with no taxes.

RE: Working from Home (article/statistics) - Tae - 12-14-2018

I'm mostly freelance. I have a "day job" client who brings me the work that would've been done in the office to my home. I live with someone who generously indulges my disconnect from society and how my working is done in spurts and chunks here and there where I am very anti-social, and then sometimes I'm doing nothing at all...

It is very accomodating of what I would say is "our type" of person and I wish many others like myself would find a path out of the working world and into work from home. I believe the path is being paved for me to have precisely what I asked for, an unglamorous life which provides me extensive space to meditate, the opportunity to sleep my preferred non-24 hour rhythm (was a shock to me to see THAT mentioned in the LOO), not having to work every day, and creative work. And I am a beacon of light and healing for all who encounter me who desire it–I was NOT when I was submerged in work in a workplace! oh boy oh boy was I not.

I'm hoping to manifest the same for my house human because she too is an introspective introvert with sensitivities to the outside world. Plus super "do at home" job, I'm an artist, she's a programmer...

For those wondering about separation, not at all. My clients interact with me via email, which I receive on my phone, and I keep my computer and tablet on my coffee table (which I can put underneath when not in use). I like to work while sitting cross-legged on the couch right now. So my work is right in my relaxation space. The one key though is that I maintain my sleeping space for sleep only. I NEVER ever EVER bring my laptop into my hammock. I sometimes slip up and check my email in bed because of how easy it is, but I try to make sure I only reply to emails when I am not in bed anymore.

I'm in reasonable harmony with my current lifestyle, so it's not a problem for me to have my life and work intermingled.

I leave the house at least a couple times a week. BigSmile I have a movie night group and I go to church most weeks. I would go out more if I had more money and energy available to me, but every time I go out I stumble on someone who needs help and I literally cannot stop myself from doing the very best I can to help everyone I run into with their pain or needs I can alleviate.

The one thing I cannot stress enough is the need for self control measures if you work from home.

-I do not have TV (I do have the ability to broadcast the internet onto a TV screen, it's just not one click entertainment)
-I cannot access Facebook, Reddit, or YouTube on my primary internet browser, again, as an inconvenience.
-I ONLY have alcohol if I'm splitting the can or sharing with my house human. A lot of creatives fall into the booze trap... because there's nothing stopping you from drinking as much as you want! So I set a rule.
-If I really really want I can go to the 7-11 for a coffee or slushee to accompany me as I work but I have to walk there (ensuring I spend 30 minutes out walking, something it's easy to not do when you work from home!)
-I don't get dirty very fast, but I always shower at least once a week for the sake of my own sanity and put on clean underwear every day.
-If I eat a TV dinner I put it on a plate/in a bowl to heat it and add appropriate seasonings, because I'm at home and even if I still sometimes have to work hard and desire the convenience of a fast meal, I can use my superior home furnishings to have a better experience.
-The "day job" work comes first even if it's not as fun, because it's the most dependable.
-Because I socialize in the "middle" of my day, if I don't do my work before my people stop their work and show up, then I have to do it after. Rules are rules. I often work in the middle of the night, to really odd hours.
-Client messages need to be answered within a day, even though I have a couple of days I tend to not do any actual work on.
-If my head starts buzzing it's absolutely okay to stop working and meditate for 15 minutes.

Those are the rules I follow to ensure that my work gets done and my sanity is maintained. I highly recommend it if there is an avenue possible and you don't thrive in the workplace. I make enough money to get by and have more fun with it than I would working for someone else. Truly it is a blessing and I'm grateful for it.

It will work as long as you treat it like "a real job" and not like "I am staying at home now, yippee!" Discipline is key to successfully getting through the temptations, and if you don't have that flawless self control, then setting minor road blocks to remind yourself of your intentions and steer you back on the right track. I see very real effects around me from having the freedom to listen to my inner voice's demands to meditate, and as such, have found as close to a monastic balance as I can while living in a city (of light, at least).