Bring4th
Converting PDF to DOCX - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Community (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Olio (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Converting PDF to DOCX (/showthread.php?tid=14988)

Converting PDF to DOCX - AnthroHeart - 11-13-2017

I want to convert my PDF to my The Warlock Name book into a Word Document (DOCX).

Does anyone know the best solution? I looked at a few programs that use Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
but those made you subscribe, and they don't do more than 50 pages.

I used Adobe's converter that I had purchased for like $2 / month to convert. But the formatting on some places seems off.

I'm also using Grammarly to help me edit and make it more appealing. It's an excellent program that I'm even now using to compose this message.

When I ran Grammarly against the exported DOCX file, it came up with 3000+ suggestions. Three editors, including myself, had missed that many issues.
But that was back in 2004 before such software existed.

I want to re-edit it and republish the novel.

I'm trying to get the original Word Doc that I sent them back in 2004 from them. But if that doesn't work I will need another solution to convert.

RE: Converting PDF to DOCX - GentleWanderer - 11-13-2017

Have you googled : pdf to docx online
it works, a few errors with special characters

RE: Converting PDF to DOCX - Coordinate_Apotheosis - 11-13-2017

First result I found from that search.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/convert-pdf-to-word/

Good to know!!

RE: Converting PDF to DOCX - AnthroHeart - 11-13-2017

That's ok. I am paying monthly for Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, which can convert it back to a PDF when I'm finished.

There's a bit of strange spacing in some of the places. Like sometimes they don't do a hard enter/newline and just leave it to run on.

I have a 292-page novel I'm converting/editing right now.

RE: Converting PDF to DOCX - Coordinate_Apotheosis - 11-14-2017

How long did it take you to write that novel anyways?  Did anything notable like realizations, inspirations, or moments of wisdom occur while you were writing?

RE: Converting PDF to DOCX - AnthroHeart - 11-14-2017

It was about ten years in the making because I took a few years off. Then I was determined to finish it.

With my editor, it took two revisions, though I did eight revisions and rewrites myself before I even got an editor.

After the editor, there were mistakes I caught, before software for checking grammar was widely available, though I didn't check that either because it didn't cross my mind.

I had some moments of inspiration, though usually about "did I write that?" because it was almost unbelievable how moving or great some parts of it are.
I thought it didn't have humor, but it does like in the first few chapters.

Before the last revision (back in 2004) there were significant changes such as improving the beginning and end. That was a task in itself.

I'm going to update the website, but its page is www.thewarlockname.com

I would like to see it get some book awards, which it has potential to do. But it was back in 2004. The publisher said that I couldn't change it to © 2004, 2017.

Because I'm republishing it, and just changing the inner contents. Cover and costs will stay the same.

I'm down to around 2,000 mistakes left to check and have edited about 50 pages so far. It goes pretty quick when you get into it.

After the edits, there's the task of going back and editing all the missing line breaks. And also fix it where it needs to be with formatting.

Since I self-published, it's probably going to cost up to $10,000 or so to market and build the website and stuff. I'll still need an editor to help come up with promotional materials or stuff.

I seriously need an agent if there are better options than republishing with the same publisher who won't promote it. Since I'm new to the scene by name, publishers won't usually put
up dollars to help. Not until you're well known. I can't even get published by another publisher or so I'm told.

This message was edited using Grammarly. Possibly my new favorite program. It's not always accurate, but it is good for like 95+% of the issues it catches.

RE: Converting PDF to DOCX - Quan - 11-14-2017

(11-14-2017, 04:12 AM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: It was about ten years in the making because I took a few years off. Then I was determined to finish it.

With my editor, it took two revisions, though I did eight revisions and rewrites myself before I even got an editor.

After the editor, there were mistakes I caught, before software for checking grammar was widely available, though I didn't check that either because it didn't cross my mind.

I had some moments of inspiration, though usually about "did I write that?" because it was almost unbelievable how moving or great some parts of it are.
I thought it didn't have humor, but it does like in the first few chapters.

Before the last revision (back in 2004) there were significant changes such as improving the beginning and end. That was a task in itself.

I'm going to update the website, but its page is www.thewarlockname.com

I would like to see it get some book awards, which it has potential to do. But it was back in 2004. The publisher said that I couldn't change it to © 2004, 2017.

Because I'm republishing it, and just changing the inner contents. Cover and costs will stay the same.

I'm down to around 2,000 mistakes left to check and have edited about 50 pages so far. It goes pretty quick when you get into it.

After the edits, there's the task of going back and editing all the missing line breaks. And also fix it where it needs to be with formatting.

Since I self-published, it's probably going to cost up to $10,000 or so to market and build the website and stuff. I'll still need an editor to help come up with promotional materials or stuff.

I seriously need an agent if there are better options than republishing with the same publisher who won't promote it. Since I'm new to the scene by name, publishers won't usually put
up dollars to help. Not until you're well known. I can't even get published by another publisher or so I'm told.

This message was edited using Grammarly. Possibly my new favorite program. It's not always accurate, but it is good for like 95+% of the issues it catches.
Sounds very intriguing the writeup on http://www.thewarlockname.com/ I look forward to reading it one day wHen you are finished with the editing and all that fun stuff BigSmile The type of books I enjoy reading the most.

RE: Converting PDF to DOCX - AnthroHeart - 11-14-2017

If you're curious about Grammarly and how I use it to find edits in my book, here's a 1-minute approx clip.

https://youtu.be/HGhCfq1PZBI

I would recommend viewing it at YouTube, in 1080 HD resolution, fullscreen to best see the words.

RE: Converting PDF to DOCX - Quan - 11-15-2017

(11-14-2017, 02:04 PM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: If you're curious about Grammarly and how I use it to find edits in my book, here's a 1-minute approx clip.

https://youtu.be/HGhCfq1PZBI

I would recommend viewing it at YouTube, in 1080 HD resolution, fullscreen to best see the words.

Wow the detail it provides on editing helps alot, eg over used/repetive words.  Thank you for sample too of the book, I like when books show background of the character upbringing..get you involved in their world and into the journey that comes or is happening.Well ill be waiting when you are finished with everything BigSmile   Is there any books you recommend in meantime?

RE: Converting PDF to DOCX - AnthroHeart - 11-15-2017

Quan,

If you like fiction/fantasy, almost nothing can touch the trilogy "His Dark Materials," which has the Golden Compass, the Subtle Knife, and the Amber Spyglass.
Ender's Game is good if you like Science Fiction.
There's also Nine Princes in Amber (fantasy genre), which I believe is part of a larger set of books. That one was pretty good. If I recall, it's part of a 9 or 10 book series.

If you like spiritual themes or something inspiring, there's Jonathan Livingston Seagull; though it's been awhile since I read it. It was a symbol of freedom I believe.

For drawing, and learning human physiology, there's the Bridgman Anatomy book. I've probably already done over 100 of his sketches and am getting better proportioned.

If you have an interest in Celtic shamanism instead of Native American shamanism there's By Oak, Ash, and Thorn. The Celtic is my favorite cause it's like what the ancient druids were into, and was Europe's main shamanism practice many years ago. Although it's still practiced today.

BTW, I think this image is relevant:

[Image: Homer_Spiritual.jpg]

RE: Converting PDF to DOCX - Quan - 11-16-2017

(11-15-2017, 05:08 AM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: Quan,

If you like fiction/fantasy, almost nothing can touch the trilogy "His Dark Materials," which has the Golden Compass, the Subtle Knife, and the Amber Spyglass.
Ender's Game is good if you like Science Fiction.
There's also Nine Princes in Amber (fantasy genre), which I believe is part of a larger set of books. That one was pretty good. If I recall, it's part of a 9 or 10 book series.

If you like spiritual themes or something inspiring, there's Jonathan Livingston Seagull; though it's been awhile since I read it. It was a symbol of freedom I believe.

For drawing, and learning human physiology, there's the Bridgman Anatomy book. I've probably already done over 100 of his sketches and am getting better proportioned.

If you have an interest in Celtic shamanism instead of Native American shamanism there's By Oak, Ash, and Thorn. The Celtic is my favorite cause it's like what the ancient druids were into, and was Europe's main shamanism practice many years ago. Although it's still practiced today.

BTW, I think this image is relevant:

[Image: Homer_Spiritual.jpg]

Thank you for the suggestions lots to choose from, much appreciated! Ill leave it up to my intuition BigSmile   Also nice pic too!

Side note: with the books, the golden compass i remember that movie enjoyed it, didnt realise there were books too...

RE: Converting PDF to DOCX - Coordinate_Apotheosis - 11-26-2017

http://pdftotext.com/

http://www.zamzar.com/

Here's two free one's, Zamzar does require an email to send the converted file to.

I tried both of these on this link: https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP96-00788R001700210016-5.pdf

And sadly both of these will not identify text and convert it from an image file to a text format, as it seems this pdf is, as per CIA security or how they handle electronic documents, encoded in mainly re-saved/re-copied/re-encoded image formats so none of the wording stands with it's own encoding making converters unable to identify letters without the appropriate software to identify them outside of the pdf's encoding.

Unless anyone can find a free program that will identify letters and convert them into text, this is the best I could find for myself in terms of copying and pasting information from the pdf to quote and work with. Now to use a speech to text program to copy this.

RE: Converting PDF to DOCX - AnthroHeart - 11-26-2017

I decided to pay for an Adobe Acrobat Pro DC subscription since I work with PDFs at least monthly, and need to combine PDFs as well.

RE: Converting PDF to DOCX - Decaju - 01-31-2021

You can try this pdf converter https://www.pdf-converter.cc