Bring4th
A good salad is in the dressing - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Studies (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Healing (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: Health & Diet (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: A good salad is in the dressing (/showthread.php?tid=14980)

A good salad is in the dressing - GreatSpirit - 11-12-2017

Salads are actually something I enjoy but just don't eat enough of. Hopefully this will change after I found some really good dressings made by Mark Sisson (Primal Kitchen) 

I was so sick of these salad dressings made with soybean and canola oils. But lo and behold I found one with avocado oil! It was a Caesar and I tried the Ranch, but I really like the Caesar better! I attacked it!

just can't enjoy a salad without good dressing or at least something on it. I can't even make or find a decent vinaigrette dressing that I really like besides at Sheetz.

I'm learning that if I am going to stick with an eating plan,  I cannot force myself to eat something that I don't like unless I was starving/poor etc.

RE: A good salad is in the dressing - Glow - 11-12-2017

I just had the opposite experience this week. I took salads to work and forgot to put dressing on it.
I had made the most excessively indulgent salad butbalmost didn’t try it because I thought it would suck without dressing but I was blown away.

My assertion was a salad is only as good as the ingredients. Fresh and varied tastes lots of them.

Mine was
50/50 spinach and baby lettuces
Grape tomatoes,super sweet
One baby cucumber,
a yellow Sweet pepper,
Pre shredded broccoli and red cabbage
And a generous amount of chopped parsley

Other times I have added shredded cheese but this time I didn’t and it was so flavourful.
Glad you found a dressing that helps,
My go to are a Greek one with feta. Or a sun dried tomato one I just finished but it was amazing!

ps you just made me hungry for salad

RE: A good salad is in the dressing - Diana - 11-12-2017

I never buy dressing. It's super easy just to dress salad yourself. Just:

drizzle olive oil or whatever oil you like (coconut, etc.)
splash some vinegar (I usually use balsamic)
Add some spices: garlic powder, sea salt, dill weed, is what I usually use
mix it up well

One of the tricks is to chop everything small—even the lettuce. That way the flavors are there in the mix of vegetables, rather than the flavor being something that is dominant on a piece of lettuce or tomato. Add a dried date chopped tiny and sprinkle it in the salad for a little sweetness to offset the savory. Chop up raw nuts as well. 

RE: A good salad is in the dressing - Coordinate_Apotheosis - 11-12-2017

AHHHHHhhhHhhHhh!!!  YUUUM :Q

I wonder what you could dress a fruit salad with? Any ideas? Lemon juice and some brown sugar perhaps?

We need a designated cooking and recipe thread for... references... and scientific research... lol

RE: A good salad is in the dressing - Diana - 11-12-2017

Fruit salad: add shredded coconut, cinnamon, and a drizzle of maple syrup or agave syrup. 

Thank you, I know what to buy when I go grocery shopping again BigSmile

I usually put lemon juice and a bit of white sugar on cut up strawberries in a bowl and let them sit in the fridge for a few hours.  It's made me wonder what to top a fruit salad with.

I wonder if hemp seeds would go good along what you suggested?

God, I think I could add hemp seeds to anything lol...

I mean, one could drizzle chocolate and whatnot, but SOMETIMES I do find great joy in eating healthy lol

I wonder if coconut oil shavings are a good substitute for coconut shavings? (...unless they're like the same thing?)

(11-12-2017, 01:59 PM)Coordinate_Apotheosis Wrote: Thank you, I know what to buy when I go grocery shopping again BigSmile

I usually put lemon juice and a bit of white sugar on cut up strawberries in a bowl and let them sit in the fridge for a few hours.  It's made me wonder what to top a fruit salad with.

I wonder if hemp seeds would go good along what you suggested?

God, I think I could add hemp seeds to anything lol...

I mean, one could drizzle chocolate and whatnot, but SOMETIMES I do find great joy in eating healthy lol

I wonder if coconut oil shavings are a good substitute for coconut shavings? (...unless they're like the same thing?)

If you have a chocolate craving try putting coco nibs ito what you are eating. You don't need much.
ps I wouldn't try to eat them plain unless you are already accustom to dark chocolate. Wink

I put them in my oatmeal with raisins and flax seed and haven't needed sugar ever since. I used to need a lot of sugar to eat oatmeal. lol

Fruit salad if you have enough variety you don't need to put much on it as the natural juices will seep out and mix into quite a nice juice. In summer I mix up a container and keep it in the fridge. The only thing I add is lemon juice and poppy seeds.... no idea why the poppy seeds but its good. A few hours of sitting in the fridge and it is plenty sweet.

RE: A good salad is in the dressing - Jade - 11-12-2017

I think some full fat coconut milk + a drip of vanilla would be tasty on a bowl of fruit, too.

I have some cacao beans, they're super bitter but oddly yummy. Maybe crushing up some of those would make for an interesting topping.

RE: A good salad is in the dressing - jacrob - 11-13-2017

I make sprouts every 3 days - mix of red, black and green lentils and mung beans.  Super easy.  Then every 3 days I steam a big pot of kale.  My dressing is made in a big jar that lasts whole week: apple cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, Himalayan salt, crushed garlic and a big squeeze japanese mayo.  Each day I mix some of the sprouts, kale and whatever veg I feel like adding that day, dressing, plus a liberal sprinkling of nutritional yeast flakes and I feel buzzing with health and goodness.  Make a big batch of dressing of your choice (I usually make 2 types so I'm not having the same one every day).  There are some amazing dressing recipes out there: look for Tahini and soy dressings - they are amazing. 

https://food52.com/recipes/28158-sesame-tahini-dressing

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/green_goddess_dressing/