Bring4th
The Sci-Fi Thread - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Community (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Art, Media, & Entertainment (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: The Sci-Fi Thread (/showthread.php?tid=13152)

The Sci-Fi Thread - Plenum - 08-10-2016

for all your Sci-Fi related needs.

(Sci-Fi equals 'Science Fiction' just in case there was any misunderstanding, language wise).

so movies, tv shows (Babylon 5, Stargate, TNG, DS9, Battlestar Galactica), novels (any recommendations for me?  I've been out of the loop for a while).

This is the one-stop-shop.

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - AnthroHeart - 08-11-2016

Does anyone remember The Next Generation episode where Data dreams, and sees Troi as a Cellular Peptide cake with mint frosting? That was the funniest one. It's up there with Picard going crazy in slowed down time and he draws a smiley face on the smoke of a slow-moving explosion (almost frozen in time), and then he points and laughs at it.

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - Jim Kent + - 08-11-2016

(08-10-2016, 10:05 PM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: for all your Sci-Fi related needs.

(Sci-Fi equals 'Science Fiction' just in case there was any misunderstanding, language wise).

so movies, tv shows (Babylon 5, Stargate, TNG, DS9, Battlestar Galactica), novels (any recommendations for me?  I've been out of the loop for a while).

Greetings Plenum, 

I initially read your first line as: " for all you Sci-Fi related nerds" Tongue  

From the more recent batch of Sci-Fi, I would personally recommend the TV series:  "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.", and if you haven't watched "Firefly" & "Serenity" yet, they are also excellent in my opinion.

The last film that blew me away was "Prometheus" and I look forward to its successors. 

Cheers

Jim 

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - APeacefulWarrior - 08-11-2016

The Expanse, on SyFy, is probably the closest to things like B5 or BSG. Neo-space opera set in a futuristic solar system. It got great reviews and has been picked up for a second season. Although it takes a couple episodes to get into because there are a bunch of characters in different locations and it has a bit of an issue with spaceship interiors and uniforms looking kinda samey.

I've also heard good things about Stranger Things on Netflix, which is on my to-watch list. It's apparently sort of an homage to the X-Files and 80s horror shows.

Update: So I watched the first ep of Stranger Things. It's like they put every 80s Stephen King trope into a blender, along with a bit of ET and Poltergeist. And I actually mean that in a good way. It was really fun, and I'll definitely be watching more.

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - Jade - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 05:22 AM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: Does anyone remember The Next Generation episode where Data dreams, and sees Troi as a Cellular Peptide cake with mint frosting? That was the funniest one. It's up there with Picard going crazy in slowed down time and he draws a smiley face on the smoke of a slow-moving explosion (almost frozen in time), and then he points and laughs at it.

That one was freaky!! Data may be one of my favorite characters ever, period. I love all the Lore episodes.

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - Plenum - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 06:14 AM)Jim Kent + Wrote: I initially read your first line as: " for all you Sci-Fi related nerds" Tongue  

sci-fi afficianados BigSmile

(08-11-2016, 06:14 AM)Jim Kent + Wrote: From the more recent batch of Sci-Fi, I would personally recommend the TV series:  "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.",

I watched bits of the first season of that.  I was sort of getting into it ... but at some stage, it sort of lost me.  I think the network television format of 22/24 episodes per year dilute the quality of the show, unfortunatey.

But I really liked the setup and the initial development.

Glad you're still having fun with it Smile

(08-11-2016, 06:14 AM)Jim Kent + Wrote: and if you haven't watched "Firefly" & "Serenity" yet, they are also excellent in my opinion.

again, both highly rated productions I've never gotten into.  But the actress Gina Torres (Zoë) was really impressive in some more recent works, so I might go back to watch some of her earlier stuff Smile

(08-11-2016, 06:14 AM)Jim Kent + Wrote: The last film that blew me away was "Prometheus" and I look forward to its successors. 

here's to Alien: Covenant!!

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - ricdaw - 08-11-2016

Moon (2009).  Intense, but not in a scary way.

Alien and the follow-up Aliens. Intense, in a scary way.

Inception (2010). 

Interstellar (2013) Flawed but interesting.

Minority Report (2002). 

Brazil. 

District 9 (2009)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

Guardians of the Galaxy (2105)

Serenity.  (Firefly goes to the movies!)

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - Jade - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 10:56 AM)Bring4th_Jade Wrote:
(08-11-2016, 05:22 AM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: Does anyone remember The Next Generation episode where Data dreams, and sees Troi as a Cellular Peptide cake with mint frosting? That was the funniest one. It's up there with Picard going crazy in slowed down time and he draws a smiley face on the smoke of a slow-moving explosion (almost frozen in time), and then he points and laughs at it.

That one was freaky!! Data may be one of my favorite characters ever, period. I love all the Lore episodes.

I may have just remembered which other one you are talking about. Is that the one where everyone starts turning into animals? I think Picard was a spider monkey or lemur or something. Is that the episode you're referring to? I was just thinking of that one and I was wondering if I'm confusing two... but the one where everyone turns into animals was really the freakiest of them all!

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - AnthroHeart - 08-11-2016

No, but I think I barely remember that one.

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - herald - 08-11-2016

C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy and Screwtape Letters Philip Dick and William Gibson; Time Machine (Wells). good writers. Movies: Contact and They Live (funny). Baron Von Munchhausen and Time Bandits. ( I know Brazil was said but, Brazil.) Man of Steel. Iron Man series. Guardians of the Galaxy and Midnight Special.

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - Glow - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 09:26 AM)APeacefulWarrior Wrote: The Expanse, on SyFy, is probably the closest to things like B5 or BSG.  Neo-space opera set in a futuristic solar system.  It got great reviews and has been picked up for a second season.  Although it takes a couple episodes to get into because there are a bunch of characters in different locations and it has a bit of an issue with spaceship interiors and uniforms looking kinda samey.

I've also heard good things about Stranger Things on Netflix, which is on my to-watch list.  It's apparently sort of an homage to the X-Files and 80s horror shows.

Update:  So I watched the first ep of Stranger Things.  It's like they put every 80s Stephen King trope into a blender, along with a bit of ET and Poltergeist.  And I actually mean that in a good way.  It was really fun, and I'll definitely be watching more.
Watched all the stranger things episodes in 2 sittings. Lol
I think it's goonies, fire starter, et and the x files mixed together. Soooo good.

I'm currently rewatching voyager and keep thinking the Borg is basically a social memory complex in the physical realm.

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - APeacefulWarrior - 08-13-2016

Yep. Finished Stranger Things and thought it was awesome. It's really amazing how trope-ful it was, yet it somehow managed to make them all seem fresh again even though it practically could have been an 80s Stephen King or Dean Koontz book. Here's hoping the almost-inevitable Season 2 manages to live up.

And now to catch up on the last week of Steven Universe episodes for some mindbleach. Too much running and screaming before bed is rarely a good idea. Wink

Edit: Hmm. I wonder if Plenum would like S.U...? Hey Plenum, any interest in a "kid's show" that's better-written than most adult shows?

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - isis - 08-13-2016

(08-11-2016, 10:56 AM)Bring4th_Jade Wrote: Data may be one of my favorite characters ever, period. I love all the Lore episodes.

same here.

[Image: 0b77904d152ba235eb3b7371c3076cdc.jpg]

[Image: valentine-s-day-tng-edition-e39EKC-quote.jpg]

[Image: 0d21c2a03697fc55e259ebeec94b1b7a.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m9sn5vtmy51qmktkno2_r6_250.gif]

[Image: 1ffeaa3c75d7771c626932441bc1ebbd.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n9890nFe8P1r38kv3o10_250.gif]

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - Billy - 08-14-2016

God I love Star Trek.

RE: The Sci-Fi Thread - plumerias - 05-19-2017

ALL the Marvel movies! you can search for the correct order... and Guardians of the Galaxy asap!! Must watch first before the second, must-see the second on the big screen ! BigSmile #iamgroot Heart